Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   2 versions of same song - recommendations (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416570)

eheilner 08-10-2021 11:45 AM

2 versions of same song - recommendations

I want to create a single version and an extended version of the same underlying music. I've finished up the extended version. For the single version I'm not doing anything fancy, just selecting out sections from the extended version.

Looking for recommendations on best practices. I've done due diligence trying to find a solution but haven't seen anything. Maybe I don't have the correct search terms - still a bit of a novice here.

If it matters, the extended is roughly 6' 30" and the single will be a bit over 3'.

albee1952 08-10-2021 01:11 PM

Re: 2 versions of same song - recommendations

Just use the Save As option to save the "other" version. IOW, if the long one is saved as the same session name that you have had all along, when you shorten the song, Save As "song name single" or whatever makes the most sense to you. I save multiple versions of most every session I do. Since the first mix is rarely the "keeper", my mixes each get saved like this:
"Song Name Mix 1"
"Song Name Mix 2"
"Song Name Mix 3'
"Song Name Mix 4'
Sometimes, they get more specific, like
"Song Name Vocal Up"
When I get too many versions listed, I move older session files to the backups folder(where PT saves its auto-saved versions), or I add a new folder(inside the main session folder) named "Older mixes". BTW, I don't actually use the "" marks(those are just to help describe the action of naming things)

eheilner 08-11-2021 07:31 AM

Thank you albee1952 & Robruce. That's pretty much what I was thinking. I had the vague notion that there would be some way to keep the two versions inside one session and switch back and forth - so as not to duplicate material.

As I see it, the downside to this approach is that if (that's a big IF) you realize after the fact that you need to change something that is in both the extended and single versions of the song, you have to do it in two places? So you need to be really, really sure that you will not be making any more changes. Am I understanding things correctly?

midnightrambler 08-11-2021 09:10 AM

At the risk of being contrary to what everyone else has said on here, and assuming the "extended" version is the main version, I would actually create the 7" edit* after the main version within the same session. Mainly because it really is a complete PITA if you tweak the mix and then have to save and open a different session to do the same tweaks on the edited version. Contrary to what the guy above me said, I've never had problems with automation not copying over, as long as you have "automation follows edit" enabled. So I'm not really sure what he means.

You can either duplicate the whole thing over, say starting at bar 201, and then chop down, or if you know exactly where the edits are going to be, copy over the relevant sections from the main section and paste in the appropriate place. Obviously in both cases you'd need to do some smoothing over at the edit points either by gently nudging the start and end points, or crossfades, or a combination of both. I find that creating a "group" on each track of the duplicated version really helps in showing exactly where the edits are, so it becomes super quick to locate and tweak them.

Take care if you have tempo or meter changes though as this sort of stuff can get very messy if you forget to copy over that information. (Which is easily done.)

*7" edit. Hahaha. I'm such a grandad.

midnightrambler 08-12-2021 02:48 AM

Well yes obviously automation will need to be checked regardless of whether the edit is performed in a new session or on the same one, but at least being in the same one means you can constantly reference what the levels were for comparison, rather than having to close and reopen sessions, which can be just tedious. I'm not starting a war over it though, whatever method gets the job done is fine by me.