Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Intro Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Pro Tools First Not Working with Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418566)

jgaudy 01-13-2022 11:45 AM

Pro Tools First Not Working with Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3

I am trying to use my Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3 USB audio interface as my playback device with Pro Tools First. However, when I try to open a new project, I get the following error message: "Some inputs or outputs may have become inactive because your audio hardware device has changed". I am not able to hear any playback through my Focusrite interface.

I have tried some solutions that I have found in similar threads on here, such as making sure that the Focusrite is not the default audio device in use by Windows, and restarting Pro Tools. I have also tried making sure that the Focusrite is selected as the playback device, and it is, although I am not able to select an input channel, and the output channel is grayed out. However, no matter what I try, I continue to get the same error message and am unable to hear any playback through my Focusrite interface.

Is there anything else I can do to resolve this issue? I am unable to make use of Pro Tools First if I cannot get the playback hardware to work with it.

Here are some of my technical specs:

Device Specifications
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz 3.79 GHz
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows Specifications
Edition: Windows 10 Home
Version: 20H2
OS build: 19042.1466
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

albee1952 01-14-2022 08:39 AM

Re: Pro Tools First Not Working with Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3

Try holding the N key while Pro Tools is opening. That should take you(eventually) to the Audio Engine setting window so you can see if the Focusrite is actually selected(I bet its set to something else at the moment):o

Ben Jenssen 01-14-2022 10:04 AM

Try to open the Focusrite Control application. There might be something wrong there.

junkgear 01-14-2022 05:08 PM

Good tips from the others.
Try holding the N key, check Focusrite Control and let us know how it works out.

If you are still having issues after that, take a look at the Help Us Help You thread where you will find general setup, optimization and troubleshooting tips for Pro Tools.

jgaudy 01-15-2022 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2625430)
Try holding the N key while Pro Tools is opening. That should take you(eventually) to the Audio Engine setting window so you can see if the Focusrite is actually selected(I bet its set to something else at the moment):o

I have tried this several times, and selected the Focusrite interface, but I still get the same error. :(

jgaudy 01-15-2022 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2625445)
Try to open the Focusrite Control application. There might be something wrong there.

Can you be more specific with what to check? I opened Focusrite Control and tried playing with the sample rate a little bit, but I didn't seem to get anywhere with that. I made sure the selected sample rates are set the same in both Focusrite Control and Pro Tools First, but still got the error.

Ben Jenssen 01-15-2022 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgaudy (Post 2625382)
when I try to open a new project, I get the following error message: "Some inputs or outputs may have become inactive because your audio hardware device has changed". I am not able to hear any playback through my Focusrite interface.

First, Have you selected the focusrite in the output selector of tracks or master fader? It will be called "Output 1-2" or similar.

junkgear 01-15-2022 01:05 PM

Do you have the latest drivers installed for your interface?
In the Playback Engine, is the Default Output set to the main outputs on the Focusrite?
Do you have speakers connected to the main outputs of your Focusrite?

albee1952 01-17-2022 03:14 PM

Hmmm, did it ever work before? Have you set Windows to use the on-board sound card as its default playback device(Settings>Sound)? On most every Windows setup, this is needed so that Pro Tools can have exclusive control over the interface.

jgaudy 01-21-2022 05:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm sorry I didn't respond for a few days. I had to go out of town. Not the most convenient timing, I know. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2625491)
First, Have you selected the focusrite in the output selector of tracks or master fader? It will be called "Output 1-2" or similar.

I don't know if this screen shot shows enough to illustrate it, but this is what I am selecting when Pro Tools starts up. I included the Focusrite Control window to show that the sample rate is consistent in both contexts.
Attachment 15431

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkgear (Post 2625512)
Do you have the latest drivers installed for your interface?
In the Playback Engine, is the Default Output set to the main outputs on the Focusrite?
Do you have speakers connected to the main outputs of your Focusrite?

1. When I went to look up the drivers for this model of my Focusrite interface, everything I found stated that the drivers were installed automatically when Focusrite Control was installed. If it makes any difference, the interface works with any other application I've tried to use it with.

2. See the screen shot above. The Default Output selection box is grayed out so my only option is Output 1-2. I think this is supposed to be the correct output.

3. I don't have speakers connected to the main outputs of my Focusrite, but I do have headphones connected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2625663)
Hmmm, did it ever work before? Have you set Windows to use the on-board sound card as its default playback device(Settings>Sound)? On most every Windows setup, this is needed so that Pro Tools can have exclusive control over the interface.

It worked with Pro Tools on an older computer. But that was a while ago and I hadn't tried it since getting my current computer, until recently.

I made sure to not have the Focusrite selected as the default Windows playback device in Sound Settings. Does it make a difference whether the on-board sound card or internal speakers are selected, as long as it's not the Focusrite?

Attachment 15432

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far.