Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   G4 Power Cycle (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=4499)

zoggied 10-11-2002 10:43 AM

G4 Power Cycle

OK, stupid problem here: When I shut down my brand new G4 it automatically starts up again. How can I make it shut down and stay off?

John Link 10-11-2002 09:08 PM

Re: G4 Power Cycle

Flip the switch on the power strip after you turn off the computer.

Seriously, that's what I have to do with my Cube, which often likes to start itself up after I've turned it off.

John Link

where02190 10-12-2002 08:15 AM

Have you rebuilt your desktop(hold down option and apple key when starting up) or zapped your PRAM(hold down option, apple R and P when restarting until you hear the chimes 3x) lately? Trashed your finder preferences? Tried running with extensions off?(hold down space bar while starting up)

Hope this is helpful.

bassmac 10-12-2002 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by zoggied:
OK, stupid problem here: When I shut down my brand new G4 it automatically starts up again. How can I make it shut down and stay off?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Are you using the pull down menu; Special ---> Shut Down?

KamaSutra77 10-12-2002 01:13 PM

connect the motu interface to a usb hub, then to the mac.

MikeC 10-13-2002 12:22 AM

I had this problem and found it was due to my MOTU USB MIDI interface. If I turned the interface off before the Mac, the computer would restart. If I left the power on, the Mac would shut down correctly.

Just thought I'd mention it...

Cheers,

Mike

A1 10-13-2002 10:25 PM

Well, MOTU supposed to have resolved that problem (Hub to Mac) but you never know.

zoggied 10-14-2002 09:23 AM

It is the MOTU interface, the system shuts down perfectly with the MTP powered up.

I found this on the Apple website:

Quote:

This could be caused by a USB device attached to the computer, an extension conflict, or an item in either the Startup Items or Shutdown Items folder.

Follow these steps to verify:

Disconnect all USB devices (including keyboard and mouse and any USB hubs) and power down the computer as follows:

iMac - use the front power on/off button to power down.
Power Mac Cube - hold down the power button for about 5 seconds to power down.
Power Mac G4 - remove the keyboard and connect a known good Apple Pro Mouse and shutdown the computer via the special menu.

- If the computer shuts down without restarting, it is likely the fault of one of the USB devices. Connect each USB device one by one and repeat the shutdown process until you identify which USB device is causing the fault. After identifying the suspect USB device, contact the vendor of the USB device for further instructions on resolving the issue.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Lo and behold, I've found the root of my problem.
Has anybody contacted MOTU about this, I haven't heard a response yet.

KamaSutra77 10-14-2002 11:26 AM

you connect your motu interface to a USB hub, powered or not, then form the ub to your mac. Fixes the power cycling problem. I use a cheap belkin 4 port hub, cost all of 12 dollars and a cable.