Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   ProTools 2022.6.0 Plug In Crashing Issues (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420934)

postpro 07-14-2022 09:55 AM

ProTools 2022.6.0 Plug In Crashing Issues

This one is really starting to stump me... Random plug ins are crashing the launch of ProTools ever since we updated to 2022.6.0 on our HDX rig.
Computer: Mid 2012 Mac Pro w/ OS: 10.14.6

Plug ins that pass through one time, crash the next time through. We remove the offending plug in and now another plug in crashes the launch. This plug may have previously passed through the launch process with no issues.

I've already cleaned all prefs, Thanks PT Prefs, zapped PRAM, etc, but we are still pulling plugins out one at a time due to crashes.

Hybrid Engine is off.

If all plugins are removed, ProTools will launch successfully after it installs core plug ins.

Not excited about reformatting and reinstalling the entire system but I'm getting close to that being the last option. Yes we have a lot of plug ins. No rhyme or reason to a vendor or type that is more responsible than another.

Anyone else stumbled across this type of odd issue?

Ben Jenssen 07-14-2022 10:14 AM

Re: ProTools 2022.6.0 Plug In Crashing Issues

This might help, or it might not.
I found this out many years ago, and I keep mentioning it here:
The info you see on the PT splash screen on launch shows the plugins loading. When people see "plugin A" on the screen as PT crashes or freezes, they think "plugin A" caused the crash.
I found that it's in fact the plugin aphabetically after the one you see on screen that might have caused the crash. The plugin on screen is in fact the last plugin to successfully load.
Let us know if it helps at all.

Darryl Ramm 07-14-2022 11:32 AM

It is a plugin problem. If what Ben suggests does not fix the problem move out all plugins and start adding third party plugins back in batches when you find a problem remove half the last batch and keep doing that binary search until you find the problem. Print out a plugin list on paper to help you, can be effective to work in batches by vendors. very very rarely you might have multiple bad plugins... if so they are likely from the same vendor.

Ben Jenssen 07-14-2022 12:02 PM

Another thing; the latest PT on modern computers, once it has scanned the plugins folder once, it makes a kind of cache that it uses the next time PT loads to let the plugins load much faster. This 'cache' is called InstalledAAXPlugIns and is located in your user folder/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools/
If you move this file to the trash, it will force PT to do the scan again at next launch, allowing you to see the loading slowly. This is a procedure that is totally no-risk. People do it all the time.

I could never pick up what plugins are loading without this procedure, PT loads so fast.

postpro 07-14-2022 01:24 PM

I did pull ALL of the plug ins from the launch folder and I've been re-adding them by manufacturer, not re-installing them, just to see what happens.

So far, every launch has been successful which is even more confusing. LOL!

I've got about another half hour worth of installing and relaunching left. I guess this may be chalked up to truly a ghost in the machine. :-)