Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Pro Tools 6 with Mbox tips (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=52451)

Dale-c 02-22-2003 04:29 PM

Pro Tools 6 with Mbox tips

I thought that I would start a thread for users of the Mbox with PT 6 to post what they have found. If you have had any problems and had them resolved, please post them here. I have not seen any other threads that this would conflict with but if there is let me know.

I am using an iMac 400 with 320 megs of RAM and a 40 gig firewire drive on 10.2.4. It is running slower than 5.2 did under 9.2 but it is doing ok. I am having problems bouncing a half hour radio program though as it stops bouncing with various errors and different points. I have not yet been able to pin point the problem but I will post that when I do.

auxsend1 02-23-2003 01:37 AM

Re: Pro Tools 6 with Mbox tips

Did you originally try PT6 on 10.2.3 and find the same problems? Personally I would only run Pro Tools on Digi approved versions of OS.

Not saying 10.2.4 is causing your problems, but it would be good to rule it out.

DesertDude 02-23-2003 05:00 AM

I am using 1 gig Ti-OS10.2.4-768 ram/ Lacie-IBM fw drive
after many unexpected quits. I have it runing smoothly for 5 days no crashes. I did however repair permissions:

Repairing permissions, applications/utilities/disk utilitiy hit the first aid tab, select boot drive on the left, click repair permissions.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Dale-c 02-27-2003 08:24 PM

No, I purchased a copy of OS X on ebay that was 10.2.0 and so I downloaded the update but all they had was 10.2.4
So 10.2.3 was no longer available and I didn't know how to go about getting it. I don't think I will mess with it. It is working pretty well and I still have 5.2 so it isn't a big deal.

mgbasinski 02-27-2003 08:29 PM

I'm running 10.2.4 on a dual-500 G4, 2 internal 7200 drives, 640 MB ram, MBox. Not seeing any problems with PT 6 (once I realized I needed to shut off Classic), but so far I've just done a couple small things (basically remixing some previous things I'd done under OS 9 w PT 5)

From what I can tell, 10.2.4 is not any source of problems.

Mark

neil_mcdermott 02-28-2003 03:24 AM

this thread is also of interest to me as i am about to make the switch.

see my post elsewhere about portables + MBox and USB ports.

grrrrrrrrrr.
[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

vf124 02-28-2003 05:33 AM

Quote:

Personally I would only run Pro Tools on Digi approved versions of OS.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmmm, on the box of my copy of the PT 6 upgrade, it clearly states "Using Mac OS X Requires 10.2.3 or Above"...

Dale-c 02-28-2003 05:38 AM

Yes, thats what mine said "or above" I figured it just hadn't been tested yet. My whole computer is not supported but it works. :-)

SoundWrangler 02-28-2003 06:05 AM

No problems here, running Mbox, PT6 & 10.2.4 on an iMac G3/400 (DV SE). However, I haven't yet bounced out anything near 30 minutes, so I can't really say about that situation. I've got 640MB RAM on that machine, & while I'm not 100% sure this is YOUR problem, my suspicion is that running PT6 & OS X with only 320MB RAM is probably not a very reliable scenario, especially for bouncing long or complex sessions. (You should probably drop the $100 USD to find out, swapping in a 512MB module - I found this made a notable difference even in PT 5.xx, & certainly couldn't make your life any WORSE!) I assume you've already scanned your FW drive w/your preferred disk repair utility, & de-fragged/optimized it... I don't know if assigning more RAM to the PT6 app itself may help for bouncing out long durations, but it probably couldn't hurt.

(Anyone else know about about this? Does Bouncing longer durations (like 30 min. or more) in itself demand a relatively higher RAM allocation to the PT6 program?)

Dale-c 02-28-2003 06:37 AM

I bounced several normal (2-3 minute) songs yesterday with no problem. I have already ordered more memory but it hasn't gotten here yet. I'll have 512 then which is the recommended amount. They say the minimum is 384 so I was glad it even allowed me to install without that much.