Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Which plugins eat up the most resources? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416378)

soundartsonline 07-26-2021 05:53 PM

Which plugins eat up the most resources?

Reverb, Eq, Delay?

What is the most conservative way to approach using plugins so you don't run out of resources?

Looking forward to your replies!

Farhoof 07-27-2021 01:43 AM

Re: Which plugins eat up the most resources?

It depends on the actual plugin, not the type of plugin. I have limiters eating all my resources and limiters hardly using any. It's pretty much trial and error. Plugins needing more resources are generally reverbs, upmixers, AI powered tools, denoisers, etc. Plugins like dynamics, EQ, delay, generally take less resources. But again, all type of plugins come in all shape and sizes so it's really dependent on the plugin itself, not what type it is.

EGS 07-27-2021 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundartsonline (Post 2608892)
...What is the most conservative way to approach using plugins so you don't run out of resources?...

Most of the stock AVID plugs are easy on the CPU.

albee1952 07-27-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EGS (Post 2608955)
Most of the stock AVID plugs are easy on the CPU.

That is good to remember. Plus, many stock plugins will run with zero added latency(learning which can help you keep latency down for tracking, while still having good sound, which is especially helpful for headphone mixes).

Here are some plugins that are serious cpu hogs:
1-every amp simulation plugin
2-Izotope Ozone(a great plugin but forget about using it while tracking)
3-Melodyne(I tend to commit Melodyne edits as soon as I finish a track)
4-some convolution reverbs(but SPACE doesn't seem bad)

Southsidemusic 07-27-2021 11:29 AM

No plugin will run at ”zero” latency as thats an impossibility :cool: but ”some” of the boring stock plugins have a low latency.

EGS 07-27-2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2608972)
... boring stock plugins ...

stock plugs that I (sometimes) use:

trim
1 or 7-band eq
Pultec EQP1A (is that one stock?)
blk1176
gate
Dverb
delay
audiosuite gain, pitch, reverse, normalize
Xpand

albee1952 07-28-2021 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2608972)
No plugin will run at ”zero” latency as thats an impossibility :cool: but ”some” of the boring stock plugins have a low latency.

Sorry, but I believe you are mistaken. To prove it, I put up a track of music with no plugins. I duplicated the track and added a stock plugin that reports 0 latency and turned Delay Compensation off. No phasing of any kind. I then reversed polarity on the plugin and the pair of tracks null 100%. That tells me that the plugin in question(EQ3-7 band) does indeed run with zero latency. Back in the LE8 days, I also often used BF76 on a drum bus(fed by sends on the drum tracks). That plugin also reported zero samples of latency(and still does) and again, it never caused any phasing. I'm not offended if you can prove me wrong, but my evidence tells me that my assessment stands:o

Sardi 07-28-2021 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2609126)
Sorry, but I believe you are mistaken. To prove it, I put up a track of music with no plugins. I duplicated the track and added a stock plugin that reports 0 latency and turned Delay Compensation off. No phasing of any kind. I then reversed polarity on the plugin and the pair of tracks null 100%. That tells me that the plugin in question(EQ3-7 band) does indeed run with zero latency. Back in the LE8 days, I also often used BF76 on a drum bus(fed by sends on the drum tracks). That plugin also reported zero samples of latency(and still does) and again, it never caused any phasing. I'm not offended if you can prove me wrong, but my evidence tells me that my assessment stands:o

Yep.

Loads of plugins induce zero latency to the signal path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk