Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What happened to the 7.* compressors in PT 8? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=235115)

gbross 12-30-2008 03:30 PM

What happened to the 7.* compressors in PT 8?

I am running PT 8 LE on an XP machine.

Where are the "standard" compressors that I have been using for years? These are the compressor plug-ins that came with PT 6.* LE and PT 7.* LE.

Can I download them from somewhere? Where? Will they work with PT8?

wolfskin 12-30-2008 03:48 PM

Re: What happened to the 7.* compressors in PT 8?

All digirack (stock) plug-ins are automatically installed with the PT8 installer.

Which 'standard' compressor are you looking for specifically?

SeedGuy 12-30-2008 03:58 PM

They can be found in the unused plug-ins folder. \Program Files\Common Files\Digidesign\DAE\Plug-ins (unused)\

Thats if you're talking about EQ II and Dynamics II

I think I read somewhere on the DUC that they're not supported by DIGI anymore, but can obviously still be used. May be wrong however.

spy2520 12-30-2008 11:05 PM

all the dynamics 3 plug-ins work for me on xp. Maybe the older ones are unsupported.

DigiTechSupt 12-31-2008 11:00 AM

Quote:

I think I read somewhere on the DUC that they're not supported by DIGI anymore, but can obviously still be used. May be wrong however.
That is correct - they were phased out with 7.4. Only the 'III' versions are supported in 7.4 and higher.

sean shannon 12-31-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt (Post 1326767)
That is correct - they were phased out with 7.4. Only the 'III' versions are supported in 7.4 and higher.

What sucks about that is that those were useful utility plugins that used almost no CPU, and did the job just fine. Sometimes I need a simple highpass filter, for example, and don't need the flashy GUI of the EQIII, and the old EQII was a perfect, no-nonsense plugin. I also used the Compressor more than about any other plugin. It just worked, with extremely low CPU usage. Especially useful on my laptop.

Why would the decision be made to un-"support" a useful Digi plugin? They are used in a ton of sessions, and opening one will now involve replacing all of those. Why? Tired of the look?

DigiTechSupt 12-31-2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Why would the decision be made to un-"support" a useful Digi plugin? They are used in a ton of sessions, and opening one will now involve replacing all of those. Why? Tired of the look?
Because they take time and resources to support - time and resources that could be used for other things.

sean shannon 01-01-2009 12:27 PM

Oh. I'm not a programmer, and the plug was already written, so I assumed it was already integrated. I was unaware that it would take extra time and resources to "support" those. That's too bad, they were quick and easy in a high-paced session. Thanks for the clarification.

SeedGuy 01-01-2009 01:25 PM

Digi spent time creating updated EQ and dynamics plugs, which sound much better than the old ones, just as simple to use, and still use very little resources, so I see no problem here!?

If you have older sessions with the plugs then you can still use them.

pennard 01-01-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean shannon (Post 1326836)
What sucks about that is that those were useful utility plugins that used almost no CPU, and did the job just fine. Sometimes I need a simple highpass filter, for example, and don't need the flashy GUI of the EQIII, and the old EQII was a perfect, no-nonsense plugin. .....

Have you tried the AIR KiLLeq