Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Pro Tools 6.1.2 on OS 10.28 or upgrade to Panther? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=108010)

Manfur 06-08-2004 01:12 PM

Pro Tools 6.1.2 on OS 10.28 or upgrade to Panther?

I'm currently using Mbox w/ 10.2.8 and Pro tools 6.1.2 on a 1ghz 15" Powerbook with 512 ram and recording to a firewire external 120.I have been having issues, while recording I get the error- holding off blah, blah, blah. I have changed buffer size and samples tried everything. Sometimes I can get through a take and sometimes I can't -( I'm only recording on track at a time mind you) I can't seem to fix this -The computer just hiccups Do I need more memory?,should I go to Panther and upgrade or
would stepping up to the 002 solve my issues , because of firewire? I'm baffled please HELP!

superlovemark 06-08-2004 01:17 PM

Re: Pro Tools 6.1.2 on OS 10.28 or upgrade to Pant

Definitely consider going up the Panther. For me its been the fastest/most solid setup ever (10.3.x and PT 6.4).

Manfur 06-08-2004 01:39 PM

Thanks for the heads up - I need to consider that- can't figure out where I'm going wrong with this set up.

cosmicevan 06-08-2004 07:15 PM

i am actually just checking into the forums right now as i too make the plunge to panther. what is the preferred available versions of OSX and protools that appear to be stable?

where02190 06-08-2004 09:17 PM

Panther all the way. IMHO it's the first OSX version that should have been released, it actually works.

Manfur 06-09-2004 02:39 PM

Hey Cosmic what's the result of the upgrades - working better for you or what?

cosmicevan 06-10-2004 05:33 PM

i just got the machine back the other day from the repair tech (logic board burned out...whew on the warranty) and decided to make the upgrades. thus far, i've had two wonderful evenings of playing with the new protools 6.4 and mac OS 10.3.2, i have to admit, so far, so good!

the OS is much more stable and has a slicker look (and i thought jaguar looked pretty hot). same goes for protools (favorite new thing the plug in categories under the insert drop downs), but i don't really work with ridiculous compositions (yet) that use tons of plugins and high track counts.

the general consensus around here seems to be that there aren't too many critical issues.

stevesound 06-12-2004 04:56 AM

Hey Cosmic,
keep us updated on how you fair in 6.4ville. I have pretty much the same set up as you so I'd be most interested! I bought panther a while ago but am too freaked out to install it and jump to 6.4, I've simply seen too many posts here under the head "Serious recording bug in 6.4". I run my own business recording primarily on the laptop with the 002 Rack and CANNOT afford (financially) to let clients down midsession.
So keep me updated if you don't mind!!

thanks and good luck
steve

cosmicevan 06-13-2004 09:03 AM

Quote:

Hey Cosmic,
keep us updated on how you fair in 6.4ville. I have pretty much the same set up as you so I'd be most interested! I bought panther a while ago but am too freaked out to install it and jump to 6.4, I've simply seen too many posts here under the head "Serious recording bug in 6.4". I run my own business recording primarily on the laptop with the 002 Rack and CANNOT afford (financially) to let clients down midsession.
So keep me updated if you don't mind!!

thanks and good luck
steve

no problem steve,
but i must warn you...i am on the opposite end of the spectrum as far as the folks who use this kind of stuff. i am the pure hobbyist just trying to get the music in my head in a form that's as close to that. i too have had my doubts about making the upgrades because of the issues i had in getting this stuff up and running (i'm also still learning how to use a lot of it). but if you read through that "serious recording bug in 6.4" you'll see some people mention the issue in earlier versions and that it isn't just in the newest version. but i wouldn't take the risk if i was in your shoes...but you should go to panther and nab the previous version of PT. the new layout in 6.4 is nice though. i'll let you know if anything bad happens, but so far, so good.

Slim Shady 06-13-2004 10:07 AM

The PT versions for panther have been the most stable and best performing so far IMHO. I like 6.4 and haven't had any 'recording bug' issues - runs like a dream on my Mbox, 15" Tibook, 10.3.4.

Slim