Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Import from CD broken (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415513)

sw rec 05-26-2021 08:21 AM

Import from CD broken

Pt 2021.3.1 Ultimate. Win 10 20H2 build. You used to be able to put a cd in your optical drive and import it. Now, no error messages, no nothing. It just doesn’t seem to have that option. Am I missing something here? Worked on 2021.3.

The Weed 05-26-2021 10:04 AM

Re: Import from CD broken

Search in the Reference Manual for "Importing Audio from Audio CDs". If it's not there, then it's not possible. The other issue may be that the track is long and it's taking time to import it, but I doubt that's it.

sw rec 05-26-2021 10:17 AM

Nope, it used to work fine. I’ve been importing audio this way off of CDs for YEARS. It stopped working as of 2021.3.1. Indicative of a feature being left out of the installer. They broke it with one of their 7.xx updates too, but addressed it in a later incarnation. This is an all too common “we added these cool new features but broke a couple of existing ones in the process” occurrence.

sw rec 05-26-2021 10:35 AM

“Digi SPTI is not installed, not registered, or damaged.” Eh?
Uninstalled/reinstalling 2021.3.1. We’ll see.

sw rec 05-26-2021 11:13 AM

Update. Uninstalled/reinstalled 2021.3.1. Same thing. That file appears to be broken. I can use Roxio to do this, thankfully, but this needs attention.

sw rec 05-26-2021 11:33 AM

digiSPTI.exe broken

Forgive the dual posting, we’ve been chasing this around in the WINDOWS section, but I wanted to make sure it gets the attention of the correct people.
When trying to import audio from a CD, you get a pop up window saying “digiSPTI.exe is either broken or missing.” I’ve uninstalled/reinstalled 2021.3.1 (Win 10 Pro, 20H2 build) and confirmed that digiSPTI is indeed THERE, so it appears to be broken. It worked just fine until the 2021.3.1 incarnation.
So, if you want to rip a CD, you do it in a different program at this point. Using ROXIO here, but really shouldn’t have to.

Obsidian Dragon 05-26-2021 12:53 PM

Re: digiSPTI.exe broken

This definitely should be fixed as basic functionality in Protools. Having said that however, I can't remember the last time I needed to rip a CD. I have quite a CD collection, but my kids tease me about being old school. They're in college and have never bought a CD. In fact they've never bought anything on Apple Music or keep MP3s either. They just stream music from Spotify or equivalent services. The world is changing folks.

sw rec 05-26-2021 01:08 PM

Fair enough, but I edit music for Olympic figure skaters quite frequently, and they bring their music in on…CD. I don’t see the harm in leaving this function intact, and agree with you 100% about this still being part of basic Pro Tools functionality. I can always use Roxio to rip CDs in the meantime. Curious if anyone else has this issue, or could test it and see if they get the same result, or lack thereof!

albee1952 05-26-2021 01:32 PM

How are you importing? 2 options are:
1-File>Import>Audio
2-drag from Explorer and drop on the timeline.
Whichever you tried, try the other:o

albee1952 05-26-2021 01:34 PM

If I open a CD in Windows Explorer, I can drag and drop a track without issue.