Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   My hard drive does not appear on desktop (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=52778)

eddybertrand 03-04-2003 01:46 PM

My hard drive does not appear on desktop

I have an extra ATA hard Drive named PTLE & it's where I Store all my Pro tools sessions.
Last time I was working on a session and accidently put to sleep my computer, when I tried to wake the computer hardDrive I wasnot able to record or even save session, so I had to restart the computer, when restarting I was listenig to a wierd noise like cracking on & off and Desktop appears the "PTLE HardDrive" was gone, I tried anythingthing to find It, even with Norton, Doctor, Firstaid, It just does not appear.
If any of you had any similar expirience I would appreciate your help.

I'm lost

Thanks Eddy [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

eddybertrand 03-04-2003 02:39 PM

Re: My hard drive does not appear on desktop

[QUOTE]Originally posted by eddybertrand:
[QB] I have an extra ATA hard Drive named PTLE & it's where I Store all my Pro tools sessions.
Last time I was working on a session and accidently put to sleep my computer, when I tried to wake the computer hardDrive I wasnot able to record or even save session, so I had to restart the computer, when restarting I was listenig to a wierd noise like cracking on & off and Desktop appears the "PTLE HardDrive" was gone, I tried anythingthing to find It, even with Norton, Doctor, Firstaid, It just does not appear.
If any of you had any similar expirience I would appreciate your help.

I'm lost

Thanks Eddy [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

eddybertrand 03-04-2003 02:53 PM

Knock Knonk Knock

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Calebjess 03-04-2003 02:54 PM

The noises you described are not encouraging. Sometimes when a hard drive fails it will make noises (extra clicking etc). This has happened to me at work with my IBM laptop. I dont run PT on the IBM though. How did you connect your ATA HD? Is it external or internal? If internal: Did you add it to the extra IDE plug or did you have to add a PCI EIDE card to connect to the HD? Or is it by SCSI (skuzzy)? I added a 40gig Maxtor HD to my rev 1 G3 using an EIDE PCI card over 2 years ago w/no problems. Newer Macs come with the IDE controller that you can just plug an extra HD into. However it is connected there will be some system folder/set program that can check to see if the drive is working.

eddybertrand 03-04-2003 02:54 PM

Knock Knonk Knock

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

jgehring 03-04-2003 02:57 PM

That drive may have died for some reason - I've seen it before for all kinds of reasons. I'd suggest disconnecting the music drive (both IDE & power), powering up the machine, then shutting it down & reconnecting it to see if it will redetect the drive. Then I would suggest turning off sleep.

eddybertrand 03-04-2003 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Calebjess:
The noises you described are not encouraging. Sometimes when a hard drive fails it will make noises (extra clicking etc). This has happened to me at work with my IBM laptop. I dont run PT on the IBM though. How did you connect your ATA HD? Is it external or internal? If internal: Did you add it to the extra IDE plug or did you have to add a PCI EIDE card to connect to the HD? Or is it by SCSI (skuzzy)? I added a 40gig Maxtor HD to my rev 1 G3 using an EIDE PCI card over 2 years ago w/no problems. Newer Macs come with the IDE controller that you can just plug an extra HD into. However it is connected there will be some system folder/set program that can check to see if the drive is working.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually It's an internal HardDrive,I added it to the extra IDE plug & bought it last year, I defragmented once a month

Eddy

eddybertrand 03-04-2003 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by probetools:
sounds like it became unmounted. try to mount it again. check system profile and see if its mounted.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How do I mount it if it's unmounted