Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   S3 disappears as AVB (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=410864)

tsugi 06-23-2020 02:05 AM

S3 disappears as AVB

2 Attachment(s)
Hello

My S3 desk works very well indeed - generally.

Randomly, the system goes through phases of not seeing the desk. It works fine for several months, updates etc all happen with no side effects.

Then I boot up and the S3 is not in Audio Midi Setup Network Devices, however it IS still usable as an Ethernet controller in ProTools and Logic.

No changes to the system: it worked fine yesterday afternoon. Switched it on this morning - no S3 (but still available as an Ethernet controller in the apps)

I've switched off and on, but no change; it seems to work again if the mac is off for several hours. I know that makes no sense [to me], nevertheless that is the situation.

Obviously Avid and Apple are saying it has nothing to do with them! I know there are a multitude of things that have to happen to get anything working, but I wondered whether anyone with a genius in things ethernet/network might have an inkling of what this is?

Many thanks

MacOs 10.15.5
S3 Firmware 1.2.0.131
EUControl 20.6.0 (although I'm not sure this will affect AVB)
Network settings are attached.

EddieJones 06-23-2020 07:06 AM

Re: S3 disappears as AVB

The AVB part of S3 hasn't changed for years. How is it connected to the Mac, direct ethernet cable or through a switch?

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk

tsugi 06-23-2020 07:16 AM

Hi Eddie,

Many thanks for the reply.

It's connected directly.

Neither has the physical setup changed since I got the S3 about 5 years ago. The only change has been updates. It worked very well with 15.5 until the update, and I'm wondering whether I need to regress the OS to 15.3

I am open to being entirely wrong, but I can't see how it will be the ethernet connection, as everything else works fine - by "everything else" I just mean as a controller with an IP address!

Different cables make no difference either. I've tried switching things on in different orders, etc.

It did its intermittent thing earlier this year, I went to 15.5 on a whim as a last resort, and it worked until the weekend when I updated EUControl. I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons why it can't be EUControl, but it's the only change. Apart from the weather!

EddieJones 06-23-2020 07:26 AM

The only way it could be effected by a EuControl update is if there was a firmware update. I presume you are on the latest and haven't updated in a while. As you say without a switch that rules out that and it's probably not the cable.
I'll ask others I know who use it and see if they have the same issue.

tsugi 06-23-2020 07:29 AM

Hi Eddie,

Many thanks again.

The firmware is 1.2.0.131 and the message I get is that I have the latest firmware and the S3 cannot be updated.
EUControl is the lates - an was updated a couple of days ago.
The Dock firmware was updated a couple of weeks ago.

tsugi 06-23-2020 10:13 AM

As a heads up: Avid Support got back to me with a solution: the fault/issue seems to lie in Apple's security system.

Disabling the SIP did the trick. I never download anything from unknown sources anyway - and should that situation arise, I can re-enable it to do the download.

Not too much of a bind until a fix comes out from Apple.

Eddie - thank you again. Eric Joseph from Mediaspec informs me you're one of the brains behind the S3 - if you are the same Eddie - superb piece of kit.

EddieJones 06-23-2020 10:42 AM

Yep, and good to know about that Sip thing.