Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Timecode question...basic (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=350948)

acmost 02-10-2014 01:36 PM

Timecode question...basic

So...somebody sends me a Hi Res mp4, I import into PT HD9, do my thing and then I'm going to send back a Stereo Wav for them. Is Timecode automatically imbedded in the file or....what do I need to do?

Thanks!~

Marcel Risberg 02-10-2014 01:47 PM

Re: Timecode question...basic

x Picture timecode has to be added manually. I prefer it burned into the image.
x ProTools might have trouble opening .mp4 files. Try adding the mpeg stream to a .mov container instead before adding to ProTools.
x To embed timecode into the exported audio of ProTools I usually go to File>Export>*AAF/OMF… I bet there are other ways too.

The answers above might help you. But I am not that sure about what you're asking. Care to elaborate?

Meads 02-10-2014 01:48 PM

TC is not embedded. There's a timestamp, but I'm not sure how much worth this is outside PT.

I'd either insert a "beep" two seconds before the first frame of action, or you start the mix with the first frame of action. However, I always inform the recipient where my file starts. That way there's no room for confusion.

AndrewAction 02-10-2014 01:49 PM

A Broadcast wav file has Timecode that is read by Avid at least.
FWIW for an export like this I make sure I use the same start point for the export as the original MP4. This allows the video editor to use the TC if they can or edit my mix into their timeline at the same point as they originally exported the MP4 from.
Andrew

acmost 02-10-2014 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel Risberg (Post 2130971)
x Picture timecode has to be added manually. I prefer it burned into the image.
x ProTools might have trouble opening .mp4 files. Try adding the mpeg stream to a .mov container instead before adding to ProTools.
x To embed timecode into the exported audio of ProTools I usually go to File>Export>*AAF/OMF… I bet there are other ways too.

The answers above might help you. But I am not that sure about what you're asking. Care to elaborate?

Thanks for the reply…PT does import the mp4 fine. I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing it right for sending it back to the video guy but the vid I'm getting is the precise length so I figured if I started at the beginning it would line up fine.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meads (Post 2130972)
TC is not embedded. There's a timestamp, but I'm not sure how much worth this is outside PT.

I'd either insert a "beep" two seconds before the first frame of action, or you start the mix with the first frame of action. However, I always inform the recipient where my file starts. That way there's no room for confusion.

Okay thanks…it's all starting at the beginning. They might change some graphics but the timecode is supposed to be the same where they do it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewAction (Post 2130973)
A Broadcast wav file has Timecode that is read by Avid at least.
FWIW for an export like this I make sure I use the same start point for the export as the original MP4. This allows the video editor to use the TC if they can or edit my mix into their timeline at the same point as they originally exported the MP4 from.
Andrew

Yeah…I'm doing that, I'm just trying to get a handle on the Timecode thing & how it relates to me. Thanks for the replies.