Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   digimax lt mic pres (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=100227)

Mariner 03-13-2004 05:40 PM

digimax lt mic pres

A question for anyone who has upgraded from the 001 to the oo2r. I already have the 001 and was wanting to know if I added the digimax lt, would I have better mic pres, than the 002 r. Also the digimax lt has inserts for every channel. What should I do? This site is awesome and much thanks in advance.

Keith Owens 03-13-2004 06:57 PM

Re: digimax lt mic pres

Hi Mariner, Welcome here!

I upgraded from 001 to 002r and I have a Digimax LT. I used the Digimax via lightpipe and a Mackie board for the other 8 preamps, going out of the Mackie and into the 001 direct.
Now I use the 4 pres on the 002r, 8 from the Digimax, and 4 from the Mackie (if needed). I don't believe there is a big difference in the 002r pres and the Digimax pres myself, although I lean slightly toward the 002r pres.

Depending on what you want to do, the 001 pres and 8 Digimax pres might be what you need, or go 002r and Digimax pres if YOU believe that is what you need.

DoneDigi 03-13-2004 08:33 PM

I performed a comparison test on the following mic pres using an SM57:

Avalon AD2022
Great River M1-NV
Focusrite Octopre
Mackie 1604 VLZ
Digi 002R

I found that the 002 mic pres are very nice.

Albert

IntelDoc 03-13-2004 09:40 PM

I am in this debate now myself. Thinking about upgrading and slowly building until I go HD very soon. Chris Cavell and Nikki brought a great point up that I think I am going to run with.

DIGIDESIGN PRE.....

Runs in stand-alone mode, and is comparable to API as far as clarity. I have had those two tell me as well as C and C Studios (www.candcstudios.net) tell me that they are CLEAN and clear. This option is cool because you have a step towards HD. You can pick them up for under $2,000. You have 8 channels that you run to a patchbay, then patch to when you need them.

I personally have the Digimax LT and like it a lot. I rarely use the Digi Pre's and really want to go the "PRE" route to have selection. I am looking at a Focusrite Red 1 as well and some others. Run them all to a patchbay and have your way with the digi. Use the LT for the extra 8 and the SP/DIF digital for 2 more and you have a wide variety of FUN...

Just a thought!

-Doc

Keith Owens 03-13-2004 10:05 PM

Intel Doc, I've been watching your posts and I am happy for you. And I might not be that far behind you in setting me up a HD3 rig or so.

IntelDoc 03-13-2004 10:20 PM

Thanks man! I am hoping to do it by June/July timeframe. Just building the inventory now ya know. So much to choose fro, but there are a ton of knowledgeable people on this thing that help.

It will be a good thing for sure if it happens!

-Doc

Bastiaan 03-14-2004 02:49 AM

Inteldoc,

With the Digidesign pre and PTHD i thnk there is a big advantage. You can place the pre close to the mics in the live-room, and control the pre with some sort of remotecontrol from within ptle. I think it works over midi. So that could definatly be an interesting combination as it will give you total recall of the pre when loading your session, and the shorter the mic cables are the better.