Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Clicking Popping HELP!!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=69979)

HR123 01-20-2003 07:21 AM

Clicking Popping HELP!!!

Hello Guys,

I'm having trouble with crossfades, Every time I duplicate or repeat a region, it pops right were the regions meet, so I think a croosfade will do the trick to get rid of it. (thats what it says in the manual) but no matter how hard I try PTLE will not let it happen, it says there is no room, so I set the zoom to zoom #4 like Roy said, I set the grid very small, it still says nope!!! try again, should it be this hard to create a crossfade? can anyone help!!!! Please....if I hear another pop I'm going to POP!!!!

Thanks

Bastiaan 01-20-2003 07:33 AM

Re: Clicking Popping HELP!!!

Go in very very deep, and draw the waveform to the middle. Be carefull though....this is DESTRUCTIVE...

mlemos 01-20-2003 07:35 AM

You have to select a larger piece of each region, that's why PTLE is telling you that there is not enough space.
Give it a try, it should work.

Marc

da BaSsTaRd! 01-20-2003 07:50 AM

instead of crossfading, zoom in really close and draw a very small fade out on the region to the left, and a very small fade in on the region to the right. this will kill the pop/click.

HR123 01-20-2003 10:52 AM

hey thanks for the advice, but.....

no matter how much of the region I select it still says that the fade is to short, I have selected the whole region and still the same message, "must be a least 4 samples long". shouldn't these crossfades just work, do I really have to go through all this fade up and downs? I mean why can't I just laydown a crossfade what are the parameters for creating a leagal cross fade? and why is it some damn hard?

da BaSsTaRd! 01-20-2003 11:14 AM

4 samples is the minimum fade size. that's pretty small. its about 1/10,000th of a second, so its pretty imperceptable. you could even DOUBLE the size of your fade without hearing it at all... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

neatguys 01-20-2003 01:35 PM

Try slip mode then zoom in on the area and the crossfade should work.

HR123 01-20-2003 04:44 PM

you rock dude...

I'm more of a video guy, its Like in Avid when you have 2 clips you want to dissolve between you need "handles" or extra frames at the end and begining of each clip in which to create the dissolve, I got it now.....I'll be pop free in few minutes!! thanks

HR123 01-21-2003 12:31 AM

But dude,

I'm tellin ya, no mater how far a stretch it, even across both regions, it still gives me the same "to short message" and even if I try to batch fade I get the same thing. nothing is working I can get a decent crossfade to save my life....

Thanks for the help though

da BaSsTaRd! 01-21-2003 12:54 AM

you don't understand how the process works. i'll explain:

you have regions and you have audio data. regions are REPRESENTATIONS of real audio data stored in your session folder.

when you copy a portion of a region from the center of a larger region, you can paste that onto another part of the track or onto a new track. then you can place a copy of it directly next to itself. in this case, there is audio data outside the boundaries of the new regions you just created. you can select a portion of each region where the 2 connect and create a crossfade no problem.

when you place 2 regions next to each other that represent ALL of the audio data contained in the region, then there is nothing outside the boundaries from which to create a fade. an example of this would be loop recording. lets say you loop record between 1|1|000 and 2|1|000. then you loop record between 2|1|000 and 3|1|000. then you decide you need a crossfade between the two regions. for the first region, there is no audio data to the right of the region boundary (2|1|000) and for the second region, there is no audio data to the left of the region boundary (2|1|000). since there is no overlapping audio data, there's nothing to "cross" when you attempt to crossfade.

the solution is to create a small fade out at the right boundary of the first region - then separately - a small fade in at the left boundary of the second region. there's no crossfade, but it serves the same purpose because both boundaries fade to 0. you can make these fades as small as 4 samples each and this will eliminate the pop/click.

cool?