Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Plugins taking forever to load (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=240551)

krop015 03-01-2009 10:57 PM

Plugins taking forever to load

This is my second attempt in hopes anyone knows a solution..

I am on PT8 HD and when i initialize a plugin (such as waves SSLchannel) it will give me the beach ball of death for about 20-35 seconds then the plugin will load. I am having this problem with about 10 or 15 of my most used plugins. It makes it extremely difficult to run fast easy sessions. I have done everything i could think of (trashing prefs, re-installing PT/Plugins) and i have no luck.

The one hint i have is that when i choose the plugin on an insert while the beach ball is spinning the system drive starts spinning very fast (like it is looking for something)

Thanks in advance.

crizdee 03-02-2009 12:47 AM

Re: Plugins taking forever to load

Quote:

Originally Posted by krop015 (Post 1360825)
This is my second attempt in hopes anyone knows a solution..

I am on PT8 HD and when i initialize a plugin (such as waves SSLchannel) it will give me the beach ball of death for about 20-35 seconds then the plugin will load. I am having this problem with about 10 or 15 of my most used plugins. It makes it extremely difficult to run fast easy sessions. I have done everything i could think of (trashing prefs, re-installing PT/Plugins) and i have no luck.

The one hint i have is that when i choose the plugin on an insert while the beach ball is spinning the system drive starts spinning very fast (like it is looking for something)

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The only thing i have ever known to slow dow the loading of a plugin is a slow hard drive or a hard drive that is close to full.

Do you have any USB drives connected? this slows down the loading of plugs? as will USB sticks and some MP3 players

Is your system drive getting full? ideally you need 30-40 gig free and you need to keep it in good shape. repair permissions or rebuild the drive using disk warrior.

Chris

TAFF 03-02-2009 04:43 AM

I'm having the same problem and I think it';s a PPC thing? We've got 3 systems running PT8 ranging from a Dual 2ghz to a Quad 2.5 and they are all slow. Even with a new install on a brand new SATA drive the plugins are slow to boot up. I've got 160gig free on my new system drive with 4gigs of RAM. Still sluggish

Paul McFadden

Reckless Erik 03-02-2009 05:23 AM

You may also delete the Waves cache folder. Had terrible problems with waves plugins after I updated the OS. Once I deleted the cache file folder for Waves everything ran smooth again.
Nick

BigEvil 09-08-2010 10:32 PM

Deleting Waves Cache folder worked for me. Could be coincidental but many of my plugins load much faster and smoother now.

GS-DK 09-09-2010 01:04 AM

Could you please tell me where I can find the Waves cache folder. Is it the Waves folder in the "Library" - "Cache" - "Waves" - "Applications" - "Waves" - "Waves Plug-Ins"? I have different bundles there.....Ane risk of getting into trouble if I erase them?

Thanks!

Hanswurstlsepp 09-09-2010 03:40 AM

Hi,

I found this thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=259286

There it says:

delete the Waves Caches folder located at: System Hard-Drive> Users> Current User> Library>Caches>Waves

psycho_monkey 09-18-2010 09:18 AM

Is it only waves?

Randomly, I had a similar issue recently where certain waves plugs (including the SSL channel) refused to load. Others were fine, as was every other plugin on my iLok. Spinning ball then PT stopped responding.

I traced it down to my audio drive having issues. I have no idea why that should be the case, but if you can't fix it by clearing cache etc, try removing every drive except your system drive, then trying again.