Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Input output delay compensation with 3rd party interface (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=311630)

propower 11-11-2011 01:11 PM

Input output delay compensation with 3rd party interface

Hey all,

If one uses a 3rd party interface (no avid interface) with PT10HD or PT10 w/ CPTK is there a place in the I/O or hardware setup boxes so that you can automatically compensate after a record pass for the input and output delays of the interface? (On HD9 with 192 these are in the I/O setup pages)....

Thanks!

filosofem 11-11-2011 01:31 PM

Re: Input output delay compensation with 3rd party interface

Nope. I/O Compensation after record pass is only present with HD hardware connected. Which I might add is now checked by default with Pro Tools 10.

propower 11-11-2011 01:46 PM

Wow...... that is a big bummer!

If I uncheck the "input and output compensate after record" boxes and do a loop test with a 192 (analog to analog) then I get 90 samples or so late for the recorded track (with no plugs). If this was third party I would have to manually nudge by the right amount after every record pass???? Yikes....... is there an easier way???

Thanks

filosofem 11-11-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propower (Post 1864564)
If this was third party I would have to manually nudge by the right amount after every record pass???? Yikes....... is there an easier way?

Delay everything by the record pass delay.

propower 11-11-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filosofem (Post 1864599)

Sorry... don't understand.......

TOM@METRO 11-11-2011 07:09 PM

And vote.

propower 11-11-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filosofem (Post 1864599)

Maybe what you meant is to enter the in/out delay in the User part of the delay compensation (at the bottom of every track)....... I can see this would work but I couldn't figure a way to enter this on a range of tracks only one at a time....... Again tedious but not impossible. Would be a lot slicker to have a way to make this automatic ...... As long as we are allowed to use other interfaces why not be able to simply enter the appropriate value........

As I see fro Tom's post..... others have been here before......

Thanks,
-Lee

filosofem 11-11-2011 07:47 PM

Manual alignment forward or back is the only way just like a native system. Lee.

propower 11-12-2011 12:09 PM

Well as it turns out this is mostly a non issue....... As long as the core audio driver correctly reports the recording delay it is correctly accounted for in Pro Tools................

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=288087&page=5

From DTS..... "Just to clarify - all devices that use ASIO or Core Audio driver should automatically report their delay via the driver to Pro Tool, which then compensates for that.

The only delays that should need to be compensated for are ones that have no way of reporting to Pro Tools directly - hardware inserts or devices in the recording chain. Most analog devices have zero delay and most external digital hardware devices have delays in the order of a few samples.

We are aware of the usability problem that is caused by not having user-definable record delay compensation and will look at ways to possibly improve this in the future."

filosofem 11-12-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by propower (Post 1864948)
"We are aware of the usability problem that is caused by not having user-definable record delay compensation and will look at ways to possibly improve this in the future."

That quote answers your question.