Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Pro Tools Ultimate Win 10 "Error Launching Video Engine" (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407396)

mdvirtual 12-02-2019 06:38 AM

Pro Tools Ultimate Win 10 "Error Launching Video Engine"

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I've been off plan the last few years running HD 12.3.1 on Windows 10 (currently 1809). I'm considering reinstating and just installed the Ultimate 2019.10 trial to check it out. Had to update a few plugins to get Pro Tools to launch, but after that it seems fine and runs the audio side of heavier PT/VE Pro sessions with no issues.

The only real problem so far is that I can't get the video engine to start up. There's a slow progress bar as it tries to launch, then dialog box "Error launching Video Engine". Any other Windows users run into similar video engine problems when upgrading from PT12 to the latest Ultimate? Any suggestions/solutions would be a huge help.

Here's what I've tried so far, with no success:

Trashed Prefs
Disable "Use GPU" in prefs
Reinstalled Pro Tools
Updated Radeon Drivers
Ran as Admin
Disable Windows Defender
Launch with no Plugins in folder
Uninstall Avid Codecs
Uninstall/Reinstall Quicktime 7

My system config is in my signature, and I'm attaching a current Sandra report.

Thanks!

bcwiz 12-03-2019 08:19 AM

Re: Pro Tools Ultimate Win 10 "Error Launching Video Engine"

Trying to launch the video engine by importing a video or just enabling the video engine without a video in the session?
The reason I ask is the type of video (codec) is critical in getting the video engine to work.

mdvirtual 12-03-2019 10:09 AM

I get the same error launching the video engine with no session open, from an open session with no video, or from an existing session with DNxHD video. Pro Tools shows "waiting for the video engine to launch" with a progress bar for 90 seconds, then bombs out with "error launching video engine".

Regarding codecs, DNxHD video has been working fine in PTHD12.3. That's what I've been running for all of my film work.

Interestingly, the progress bar in Ultimate goes all the way to the end before it errors out, whereas in 12.3 it get about 1/4 through and the AVE is up and running.

bcwiz 12-03-2019 11:27 AM

Yes DNxHD36 is the ticket. The only problem I've run into is DNxHD with AAC audio best use PCM Little-Endian.
Sorry thought I could help but other than the codec issues I got nothing.

Wawili_Sound 01-26-2020 09:49 PM

Same problem for me WIN 10 2019.12 but rolled back to .05 and it works so looks like I have to wait for bug fixes. Apparently the video engine was meant to have improvements.... not for me.