Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   PT10 any improvement for composers? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=310019)

Phil Buckle 10-24-2011 03:10 PM

PT10 any improvement for composers?

Lots of great stuff in PT10.
The eventual demise of RTAS won't be causing any heartbreak I suspect.

But for us composer engineer types are there any improvements in VI implementation in PT10?
If I go to PT10 can I stop using VEP to host all my VI plugs?
Can I run the mammoth VI sessions I run every day just in PT10?

Or do we wait until RTAS is dead a buried and whatever replaces it is sorted out?
Any compelling "composer centric" reasons to spend a thousand dollars?

DigiTechSupt 10-24-2011 03:41 PM

Re: PT10 any improvement for composers?

No specific VI performance enhancements and, no, I don't think you can get rid of VEP yet.

While there may be performance improvements to how well VI's work in Pro Tools 10, they would only be due to 'secondary factors' like use of the Disk Cache for RAM (thus allowing possibly more RAM for VI's), fewer out of memory errors (fewer fade files using up RAM) and so on.

In my testing, the improvements are only marginal in the grand scheme of things.

Phil Buckle 10-24-2011 07:14 PM

Thanks for the straight answer.

I hope you guys have thick skin. There seems to be a fight brewing.

Rubicon 10-25-2011 08:34 AM

Very disappointing to say the least.

ronwasserman 10-25-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicon (Post 1852050)
Very disappointing to say the least.

I think the line in the sand has been drawn. Avid knows their product is mainly for recording studios and post production. There really is no sense in them competing for the composer share of things any longer when there are so many superior low cost alternatives for midi work.

I moved to Cubase recently for all my VI stuff and there is simply no way Avid could catch up now. That being said Cubase IMHO SUCKS for audio work but I can easily get those frozen VI tracks into PT in no time if I'm doing ODs.

I'm not down on Avid for this decision but VST and AU for VIs are so superior to the AVID format it really makes no sense for them to develop that. This was especially obvious when they dropped development on their "air instruments" division. So stop hoping for PT to become a composers tool. I waited 10 years and it ain't their priority.

DigiTechSupt 10-25-2011 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronwasserman (Post 1852064)
I think the line in the sand has been drawn. Avid knows their product is mainly for recording studios and post production. There really is no sense in them competing for the composer share of things any longer when there are so many superior low cost alternatives for midi work.

I moved to Cubase recently for all my VI stuff and there is simply no way Avid could catch up now. That being said Cubase IMHO SUCKS for audio work but I can easily get those frozen VI tracks into PT in no time if I'm doing ODs.

I'm not down on Avid for this decision but VST and AU for VIs are so superior to the AVID format it really makes no sense for them to develop that. This was especially obvious when they dropped development on their "air instruments" division. So stop hoping for PT to become a composers tool. I waited 10 years and it ain't their priority.

I hate to be the bearer of (possibly) good news, but we completely understand the need for better VI performance in Pro Tools and it's one of the things on our 'high priority' list. Unfortunately, the work necessary to make that happen is, to put it mildly, tremendous. It's basically a complete rewrite of the Pro Tools engine.

FYI - there is nothing inherently 'superior' about AU or VST. In fact, RTAS functionality with regard to control surfaces, inter-application communication, etc. has always been superior. The performance aspect with regard to VI's is more due to the DAW engine than anything - and that's the part that we still have to work on.

Drew Mazurek 10-25-2011 12:41 PM

Digitech,
Isn't AAX the main part of that? Along with the transition to 64 bit?

Thanks

ronwasserman 10-25-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt (Post 1852279)
I hate to be the bearer of (possibly) good news, but we completely understand the need for better VI performance in Pro Tools and it's one of the things on our 'high priority' list. Unfortunately, the work necessary to make that happen is, to put it mildly, tremendous. It's basically a complete rewrite of the Pro Tools engine.

FYI - there is nothing inherently 'superior' about AU or VST. In fact, RTAS functionality with regard to control surfaces, inter-application communication, etc. has always been superior. The performance aspect with regard to VI's is more due to the DAW engine than anything - and that's the part that we still have to work on.

I am glad you understand it, but considering VI's functionality in PT along with the very costly task of rewriting the PT engine in order to make it work correctly, you have to admit this is not something that will improve soon.

DigiTechSupt 10-25-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmazurek (Post 1852290)
Digitech,
Isn't AAX the main part of that? Along with the transition to 64 bit?

Thanks

It's part of it - not the 'main' part I wouldn't say though. AAX does open up some interesting possibilities, but there are other things that are higher up on the list of things to do before any kind of work on 'wonder features' (for lack of a better term) can be looked into.

DigiTechSupt 10-25-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronwasserman (Post 1852392)
I am glad you understand it, but considering VI's functionality in PT along with the very costly task of rewriting the PT engine in order to make it work correctly, you have to admit this is not something that will improve soon.

I guess that depends on what you mean by 'soon'. Much of this work has been in development for years already, if that's any indication of what it's taking to make it happen.