Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Buffering Issues revisited... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=192183)

tim carter 03-12-2007 09:53 PM

Buffering Issues revisited...

I originally started the Buffering Issue thread a while back and never really got anything solved... I'm still having the problem.. when it does happen I'm getting either error 6086 or 6093... has anyone found a fix for this... I'm running 002R, 7.3.1, G4 Dua 1.25l, 512 plus an additional 1 gig... increasing the buffer size does nothing to stop it..

George Whittam 03-15-2007 11:57 PM

Re: Buffering Issues revisited...

Have you tried installing a PCI Firewire card yet? I just tried that with a client's G5 and it solved the problems (errors, hardware not detected) immediately (at least for now.)
Funny, all the problems people are having with the DIGI 002 Rack I am reading on the forums and the solutions from Digidesign, I haven't seen a SINGLE suggestion to install a new firewire card.

George

sky88dd 03-16-2007 01:58 AM

Just wondering if the the installed firewire card will be used for the 002 or firewire hard dive?
Or does it matter?

Thanks!

George Whittam 03-16-2007 01:39 PM

I would keep the hard drive and the Digi 002 on separate firewire busses. Since putting the Digi002 o n the PCI card made it work, that'd be the way I'd go.

George

Slim Shady 03-16-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Funny, all the problems people are having with the DIGI 002 Rack I am reading on the forums and the solutions from Digidesign, I haven't seen a SINGLE suggestion to install a new firewire card.

It's in the compatibility pages actually, most people just don't bother reading those and post here instead. It really only applies to a couple of models of older PPC machines though, and since it seems the majority of folks are on Intel these days it doesn't come up too much. Since the OP has one of the models in question though, your suggestion is definitely a good one.

Neale 03-16-2007 04:19 PM

FWIW, I recently started a thread on powered FW hubs vs PCI cards to alleviate buffer errors. A local pro audio shop guy found a solution for his OWN rig with a powered FW hub rather than a PCI card, claiming that any improvement with the PCI card would be negligible (his own experience... he wasn't selling me anything). I ended up getting the ADS Pyro, a Digi "approved" card, for my single processor G5, just so the 002r would have its own bus, nothing else running on it, in as "approved" a setup as I can have except for my TC PowerCore FW. Can't say that it made a difference vs running it off the native FW bus in my machine alongside the PowerCore (so they both would be on one bus), but it didn't hurt either. So now I'm wondering if the hub WOULD have worked better (check my thread for theories on why). Still experiencing random -9136 or -6086 errors, and on couple of sessions, if I have the H/W buffer maxed and the "ignore RTAS errors" unchecked, I will lose sync and have to force quit the session; checking the "ignore RTAS errors" solves it, although pops and clicks of course happen. Replaced the ol' power harness this week... no improvement I could see, although the metal seemed to be a teeny tiny bit oxidized.
So...
Maybe a PCI card will improve your performance, but it hasn't helped me any. Hasn't HURT, but can't say it has helped.