Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Difference between PT8-MP Upgrade and Full version? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=257633)

frantik 10-24-2009 04:31 PM

Difference between PT8-MP Upgrade and Full version?

Is there a difference between the upgrade and full versions of PT-Mpowered?

I purchased the "upgrade" before the full version was available.. I had to buy an ilok separately but other than that it worked fine even though i didn't have a previous version of protools. in fact, if i recall correctly, the installation tells you to remove any previous versions before you install version 8 anyways.

I guess the price difference is because you get a boxed version with printed manual and an included ilok?

Full ($300):
http://shop.avid.com/store/product.d...88865096003840

Upgrade ($150):
http://shop.avid.com/store/product.d...24083762047056

TOM@METRO 10-25-2009 04:25 AM

Re: Difference between PT8-MP Upgrade and Full version?

If you have the ilok auth and PT is running then you are fine.

fridrikur 10-25-2009 07:11 AM

I bought 7.4 when version 8 was only available as an upgrade and not a boxed versons I was told by numerous stores that there was never going to be a boxed version of ptmp8, but only one week after I had bought v7.4 as a boxed version the boxed version of pt8 was standing there shiny in the windows of the stores. But I did use the upgrade from 7.4 for free, and the difference between this download version and the boxed version is that you do not get the demo session files that are included on the disk and they talk so much about in their tutorials. I wish I had the session files myself would be great as a way to learn the new features. This is the only difference I believe.

frantik 10-25-2009 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 1484597)
If you have the ilok auth and PT is running then you are fine.

I'm asking because i often recommend protools to people and i've been saying it's only $150... i just wanted to make sure i wasn't misleading people :)

Soul Fader 10-26-2009 09:38 AM

The price difference is because lets say you are just starting with pro tools you have to have a "full version" If you already have PT your license is on your ilok and when you uninstall previous versions your ilok remembers your account.

I started backin PTMP 7.1 had to bu the full version w/ilok then I just upgraded as needed $50.00 for 7.3-7.4 then $150.00 for 8.0. In short to answer your question , no there is no difference.

TOM@METRO 10-26-2009 11:50 AM

Correct, not in the application itself.

frantik 10-26-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soul Fader (Post 1485336)
The price difference is because lets say you are just starting with pro tools you have to have a "full version"

Yes, normally, this is the case with most software upgrades, but it is apparently NOT the case with the PT8 upgrade. As I said, I purchased the upgrade version and installed it successfully even though I had never owned Protools before. Half the students in my audio classes purchased the PT8 (both LE and MP) "upgrade" without ever having purchased a full version. Our teacher even told us to buy the upgrade since there was no full version available at the time.

Obviously there is no difference in the core program. I want to know what is included with the Full Version that makes it worth $150 more than the upgrade.

You get an ilok with the full version which is worth $40. I'm assuming the rest of the price goes to the box, printed manual and the files on DVD?

Soul Fader 10-28-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frantik (Post 1485558)
Yes, normally, this is the case with most software upgrades, but it is apparently NOT the case with the PT8 upgrade. As I said, I purchased the upgrade version and installed it successfully even though I had never owned Protools before. Half the students in my audio classes purchased the PT8 (both LE and MP) "upgrade" without ever having purchased a full version. Our teacher even told us to buy the upgrade since there was no full version available at the time.

Obviously there is no difference in the core program. I want to know what is included with the Full Version that makes it worth $150 more than the upgrade.

You get an ilok with the full version which is worth $40. I'm assuming the rest of the price goes to the box, printed manual and the files on DVD?

Thats cool. Wish I would have waited till you did to buy it, heh. I'm assuming you and your students all had to buy iloks to get your MP versions working?

frantik 10-29-2009 02:08 AM

yes.. me and my classmates just bought the iloks separately

LCipher 10-29-2009 06:56 AM

If you are in a class (edu) - Isn't there and educational version that costs $150? Why didn't you just get that (it includes the iLok)?