Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Update OSX 104.11 to 10.5.4 and PTHD 7.4 to 7.4.2 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=288283)

Oakdale Post 11-26-2010 01:31 AM

Update OSX 104.11 to 10.5.4 and PTHD 7.4 to 7.4.2
I am attempting to upgrade both my Mac OS 10.4.11 to 10.5.4 while also updating PT 7. 4 to 7.4.2 (probablycs4).
Yesterday I installed the new Mac OS over the old OX and the old PT 7.4 to 7.4.2 original version
I knew there would be some plug-in issues, but even after removing ALL non PT plugs, the system in unusable. Opinions here, the switch from 10.4 to 10.5 is a major OS update. Would I be better served to do a clean install of the new Mac OS or simply install over it?
Second, Should I do a clean install of 7.4.2 instead of going the update route? Should I do both?
I am on a original Mac Pro (quad core?) 2.66 ghz with 5 gig of ram.
I also run a Digi Expansion Chassis that is orphaned beyond 8.0.1. Popular opinions on this is to remain on the P7 based as the early PT 8 versions are quite buggy.
I do have a fall back by cloning my system drive, so to return to the original working configuration can be restored in minutes.

I also use to D-Control surface which require firmware updates to get to 7.4.2 or as a result of the OS change. Either way it has already been updated.

I know this almost legacy stuff as PT is at 9 now, but I cannot afford a new expansion chassis.

Some of my third party plugs will need to be updated as well, but I need to get up and running before addressing that.

System Config
original Mac Pro (quad core?) 2.66 ghz with 5 gig of ram with a desire to run under 10.5.4
2 x 192s
Sync I/O
Digidesign Expansion Chassis with PCIe host to PCI(x) chassis.
Original D-Control Main and 2 x 16 fader modules and surround panners.
1 Core card, 3 accell cards, all PCI(x).
PT HD Version hopefully to be 7.4.2.

Any ideas? Need to get this up by Monday or roll back to cloned system drive.

crizdee 11-26-2010 02:55 AM

Re: Update OSX 104.11 to 10.5.4 and PTHD 7.4 to 7.4.2

A fresh install of everything is definitely the way to go!!

at least you have a back up boot drive to keep working!:-)

And be really careful with plugin versions! you need to find versions that are compatible Leopard 10.5.x


Oakdale Post 11-26-2010 09:31 AM

Re: Update OSX 104.11 to 10.5.4 and PTHD 7.4 to 7.4.2
I just wanted to thank you personally for responding to my post.
I have added you as a contact on the DUC. Please continue to follow my thread as, if past experience holds true, I am quite sure that this update will not go quietly.
Thanks again for your advice. This will hopefully save a day of attempting to fix the unfixable.


Bill Ebmeyer
Operations Manager- Oakdale Post Audio, Inc.

702-734-3900 Office
702-265-3900 Mobile

Oakdale Post 11-27-2010 03:09 AM

Re: Update OSX 104.11 to 10.5.4 and PTHD 7.4 to 7.4.2
Well the migration went well except for one thing. For some reason when playing back video sessions with my Mojo,both in standard an firewire output, after pressing play I have to wait almost 4 seconds for playback to begin. I've successfully installed OSX 10.5.4 and PT 7.4.2cs4, waves 7 Diamond bundle TDM, Audio Suite and RTAS, GML eq TDM, TC Electronic VSS3, Non Lin and DVR and upgraded Melodyne editor successfully which are really all the essential plugs I need. All other pugs are stock Digi which were included in the PT upgrade. I've run though all the midi countoff options to make sure it is not midi related. No midi interfaces (MOTU express or Clockworks hard/software) have even been installed. I've run through all the preferences to make sure they are identical to my last configuration.
I'm thinking it is either QT, which wants to updated to 7.5.6 or 7.6.6 (can't remember as I am brain dead at this point) which was not upgraded and have not registered my QT Pro option, or the sync I/O wants updated firmware. Pre roll and post roll are of course disabled. Have I missed something along the way? System is running smooth no crashes at all today and non video sessions start immediately. Are there Mojo (standard not SDI) firmware updates available as that could be an issue as well. Any thoughts, ideas, fixes anyone can think off? I feel that I am 90% to where I want to be, but a 4 second wait time to begin play back in video sessions is unacceptable. Any suggestions would most appreciated. :confused:

Sean Russell 11-27-2010 07:17 AM

Preferences - Operations -

Record Allocation - change from 'All' to '10 minutes'

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:18 PM.

Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com