Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   AES Update for Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=406759)

krabbencutter 10-16-2019 07:22 AM

AES Update for Pro Tools 2019

http://www.avidblogs.com/pro-tools-2019-fall/

Pretty underwhelming if you're not a PT Ultimate user :confused:

WorldStudios 10-16-2019 07:36 AM

Re: AES Update for Pro Tools 2019

Pretty useless/uninteresting if you're not a PT Ultimate user doing sound to VIDEO! :(

This is not worth paying a single cent for, to me.

JFreak 10-16-2019 07:39 AM

About time POST gets some love... but the one thing that benefits all users is work on Avid Video Engine which is the one that prevents current PT from launching on Catalina.

This still didnt say anything about compatibility, it also didn't mention anything about HDX Voice Upgrade, so maybe purely new features this time? We shall see soon. Not supporting Catalina is no surprise at this time, but if the HDX upgrade still isn't released that would be a surprise.

cqd 10-16-2019 07:55 AM

Ah well..it's been emotional, Pro Tools..

TrentWilliams 10-16-2019 08:20 AM

!!! Awesome.

This is great news. PT has needed an AVE refresh for a long time now.

Anthony Jr. 10-16-2019 08:59 AM

As a Native user who primarily uses ProTools for video work, this is extremely exciting for me. I was wondering where this update was in the process since they announced they were working on the video engine a good number of months back (around the time of the last update).

To give reference, the best playing video in ProTools is typically standard definition in containers / codecs I don't usually use. I'm a freelance cinematographer (main career) who also randomly has an audio background. Needless to say, doing audio work with ProTools is the time where I get to finally see and feel the way the film / commercial works outside of rudimentary leveling during video editing. Marrying in 4K to the process is going to be really cool.

Similarly, half of my posts on the DUC are probably related to my undying critique of AVID's slow release cycle when it comes to new OS compatibility (since I typically like to keep my system updated alongside compatibility for my video editing apps). Hearing this video engine replacement will also help move along Catalina compatibility is a great start.

JFreak 10-16-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Jr. (Post 2541460)
Hearing this video engine replacement will also help move along Catalina compatibility is a great start.

Just an educated guess, pure speculation :rolleyes: :cool: :D

BCnSTL 10-16-2019 09:28 AM

Logical update for PT's core professional users. Avid has limited resources and has to use them strategically as they see fit.

As a native music person - this does nothing for me. I'm not in Avid's target customer demographic right now. That's OK. There are alternative solutions out there if I feel the value proposition of PT isn't there for me anymore (it isn't).

massivekerry 10-16-2019 02:10 PM

I know it's only a Press Release, but for video, all they talked about was adding support for different codecs and HR vid. I am more interested in knowing if they re-coded the Video Engine so that it... doesn't suck monkey balls when I"m scoring to video with a ton of VIs. I switched to using Video Slave Pro (on the same machine) a few years back, and get far better results - which should be embarrassing for the company that makes Media Composer.

Now, I get that there's a lot of legacy code in there that had to be purged... the only glimmer of hope that I see is near the bottom of that sections, where it says "...the addition of smoother H.264 video playback..." So, maybe it's better?

But a Press Release isn't going to highlight how they're fixing something that they've bolloxed previously, so I guess we'll wait and see. Still wouldn't make me feel like the last years' $400 wasn't wasted, but hey, it'd be a start.

JFreak 10-16-2019 02:17 PM

Well for what all we know they MUST revamp their video engine for Catalina compatibility so let's just hope that's what they have been doing lately and support is closer than we think. The press release said nothing about it so not likely in this release.