Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   New iMac i7 successfully running PT 8.0.3 (so far) (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=270172)

Zooce 03-24-2010 09:52 PM

New iMac i7 successfully running PT 8.0.3 (so far)

**I'm hoping that this will instill some positive thinking about the new iMacs having issues with PT8 and the Mbox series.**

Yesterday I got PT8 running on my new iMac i7:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...=261596&page=6

Today I spent about an hour testing my setup (nothing intensive yet) and the only issue I had was when I opened the first session, and hit the space bar to play the session, both the stop and play buttons in the transport illuminated, then after a couple of seconds the session began to play but the audio and video were out of sync. I then quit and saved the PT session, opened it back up and from there on it was working flawlessly.

This weekend I'll be testing use of Reason with my Mbox 2, and Reason through PT via ReWire.

So far so good!!!

-Zooce

chrissyb 03-26-2010 11:18 AM

Re: New iMac i7 successfully running PT 8.0.3 (so far)

I'm genuinely happy for you...:D

I've learnt that there is a software solution pending - but not a release date...So hopefully that's some good news for the rest of us....

Chris

Paul Alvarez 03-26-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooce (Post 1578859)
**I'm hoping that this will instill some positive thinking about the new iMacs having issues with PT8 and the Mbox series.**

Yesterday I got PT8 running on my new iMac i7:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...=261596&page=6

Today I spent about an hour testing my setup (nothing intensive yet) and the only issue I had was when I opened the first session, and hit the space bar to play the session, both the stop and play buttons in the transport illuminated, then after a couple of seconds the session began to play but the audio and video were out of sync. I then quit and saved the PT session, opened it back up and from there on it was working flawlessly.

This weekend I'll be testing use of Reason with my Mbox 2, and Reason through PT via ReWire.

So far so good!!!

-Zooce

Questions for you. I have an older PowerMac with dual processors, a Digi002 Rack unit and LE software that I believe is 7.4 (can't confirm this as I am in China) but something like that. I have a new iMac 27" and was thinking of upgrading to the latest version of LE and using it with my old Digi002 hardware. You seem to have this working for you but I have a couple of questions:

1. How did you deal with any old plug ins on your old system and getting them transferred to your iMac?

2. Doesn't Digi recommend a separate audio drive? How are you dealing with this in your new set up?

Thanks for any tips.

Paul

Zooce 03-26-2010 07:07 PM

Paul,

1st - This is actually my first personal PT setup. Before I purchased my system, I had to go to the DAW lab at school. Also I have no additional plug-ins just yet so I can't help you there.

2nd - As far as using a dedicated audio drive I'm using a Glyph GT 050Q 500GB HD connected via FW800.

**I just purchased an Edirol PCR-800 (connected via MIDI in/out on Mbox 2) and I'm going to test how well it works with PT8's VI's, Reason through PT8 via ReWire, and Reason on its own. I'll let everyone know how that goes.**

Also I've been taking very precise steps from booting up to shutting down my whole system and I think everyone should get into the habit of doing such things.

-Zooce

Paul Alvarez 03-27-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zooce (Post 1580167)
Paul,

1st - This is actually my first personal PT setup. Before I purchased my system, I had to go to the DAW lab at school. Also I have no additional plug-ins just yet so I can't help you there.

2nd - As far as using a dedicated audio drive I'm using a Glyph GT 050Q 500GB HD connected via FW800.

**I just purchased an Edirol PCR-800 (connected via MIDI in/out on Mbox 2) and I'm going to test how well it works with PT8's VI's, Reason through PT8 via ReWire, and Reason on its own. I'll let everyone know how that goes.**

Also I've been taking very precise steps from booting up to shutting down my whole system and I think everyone should get into the habit of doing such things.

-Zooce

Zooce,

Thanks for the quick feedback. One more question:

If you are connecting an audio drive via FW, how are you connecting the Digi hardware to the iMac?

Cheers,
Paul

Obsidian Dragon 03-27-2010 12:52 AM

If using a USB audio interface (Mbox2, Mbox2Mini. Mbos2Micro, Eleven Rack)the interface is connected to one of the USB ports and the Firewire hard drive is connected to the Firewire port. You will need a Firewire 800 to Firewire 400 adapter cable between the computer and the hard drive. Please note that USB hard drives are not supported for Protools session files.

If using a Firewire audio interface (Digi002/002R, Digi003/003R/003R+, Mbox2Pro), the hard drive and audio interface must be daisy chained. The general recommendation is computer to hard drive to audio interface. You will need a Firewire 800 to Firewire 400 adapter cable between the computer and the hard drive and your hard drive will need to have two Firewire 400 ports to avoid mixing Firewire 800 devices and Firewire 400 devices on the same Firewire buss. This seems to be the most reliable solution but some have had success mixing and matching Firewire speeds while others have not.

R&BProducer 03-27-2010 03:55 AM

I have my PT 8.03 working on 27" IMAC, no audio problems having probs with midi set up.

Direct from 400 to 800 FW cable

R&BProducer 03-27-2010 03:57 AM

By the way I have an MBOX2 Pro

Paul Alvarez 03-27-2010 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon (Post 1580245)
If using a USB audio interface (Mbox2, Mbox2Mini. Mbos2Micro, Eleven Rack)the interface is connected to one of the USB ports and the Firewire hard drive is connected to the Firewire port. You will need a Firewire 800 to Firewire 400 adapter cable between the computer and the hard drive. Please note that USB hard drives are not supported for Protools session files.

If using a Firewire audio interface (Digi002/002R, Digi003/003R/003R+, Mbox2Pro), the hard drive and audio interface must be daisy chained. The general recommendation is computer to hard drive to audio interface. You will need a Firewire 800 to Firewire 400 adapter cable between the computer and the hard drive and your hard drive will need to have two Firewire 400 ports to avoid mixing Firewire 800 devices and Firewire 400 devices on the same Firewire buss. This seems to be the most reliable solution but some have had success mixing and matching Firewire speeds while others have not.

Thanks Dragon...I have a Digi002 so will set up the way you have recommended. Can you tell me anything about transferring plug ins from my old set up to the new one? I want to buy the new LE SW but also be able to use my current plugs and will check compatibility first. How can they be moved?

Cheers,
Paul

Chris7514 03-29-2010 09:18 AM

Hi !
Yeah. I'm glad that your system is running fine ( finally).
The only problem I still have ( and it is the serious one IMHO) is when I record MIDI the sustain pedal drops out randomly. That single issue prevents me from using Pro Tools as a self contained DAW. For piano performances, and other polyphonic keyboard work I have to switch to Cubase, and than import MIDI into PT. As long as I remember this was always an issue- going back 6-7 years or so. This is the only thing I absolutely hate about Pro Tools: the inability to properly record simple single MIDI track.
Chris7514
P.S. I posted many times about this issue, first time back in 2007. Digi still didn't fix the problem.
In studio:
PT LE 8.0.3. 002R. iMac i7 2.8GHz, 8GB RAM 1TB HD. LaCie FW 800 drives. 10.6.2 Snow Leopard. MIDI Express XT, MIDI ins in 002R ( there are three of them showing in Studio Setup, another bizarre bug !!)
On-the-go :
PT LE 7.3.1. original MBox. MacBookPro 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM. 10.4.11. I tried the new MBox 2 mini, but it doesn't work with MacBookPro at all. That's why I can not upgrade to Snow Leopard and 8.0.3 on my on-the-go system. Sad:confused: