Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Suggestions for Archiving Pro Tools session WIth Frozen Tracks (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395918)

bugnut 12-25-2017 01:53 PM

Suggestions for Archiving Pro Tools session WIth Frozen Tracks

Hi. I'm looking for tips/suggestions/warnings with regards to archiving a Pro Tools session which uses frozen tracks.

jeam25 12-25-2017 04:57 PM

Re: Suggestions for Archiving Pro Tools session WIth Frozen Tracks

Hi ! may i ask , what is your concern here ? Im trying to get your question/request but i dont understand it ! :-/ .

Darryl Ramm 12-25-2017 05:04 PM

And to that point, what are you archiving for? To be able to re-edit in Pro Tools? Remix/review in future in possibly something quite different from Pro Tools? The performance or final product is of historical importance? etc

bugnut 12-25-2017 05:05 PM

Thanks for your reply, Jeam. I think I've figured it out.

1. unfreeze tracks, even if only a few at a time,
2. consolidate clips
3. refreeze tracks
4. clean up the garbage
5. after "save copy in" all frozen tracks will automagically be copied and saved to a new Rendered Tracks folder.
6. i hear there might be some issues with sidechained elements but i haven't run into that issue yet

Easier than what I was expecting.

bugnut 12-25-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2465994)
And to that point, what are you archiving for? To be able to re-edit in Pro Tools? Remix/review in future in possibly something quite different from Pro Tools? The performance or final product is of historical importance? etc

Just archiving this past year's sessions. Trying to be efficient with hard drive space, etc. Might be necessary to revisit these sessions in the future. 100 sessions and only three days to complete the task. But easier than I thought, all good.

Darryl Ramm 12-25-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugnut (Post 2465996)
Just archiving this past year's sessions. Trying to be efficient with hard drive space, etc. Might be necessary to revisit these sessions in the future. 100 sessions and only three days to complete the task. But easier than I thought, all good.

Yep, cool. I saw your self-reply and it all made sense.

jeam25 12-25-2017 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugnut (Post 2465995)
Thanks for your reply, Jeam. I think I've figured it out.

1. unfreeze tracks, even if only a few at a time,
2. consolidate clips
3. refreeze tracks
4. clean up the garbage
5. after "save copy in" all frozen tracks will automagically be copied and saved to a new Rendered Tracks folder.
6. i hear there might be some issues with sidechained elements but i haven't run into that issue yet

Easier than what I was expecting.

Ok well ! Great !

albee1952 12-25-2017 08:36 PM

Just me but I would never archive a session with frozen tracks:eek:, Track Freeze is only meant to be a temporary way to free up system resources. Unfreeze at the very least. Commit any track using a virtual instrument. Commit any track that uses hardware processing. Consolidating is a good idea as that would allow for complete audio files to be imported into any DAW:o