Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   VENUE Live Sound Systems (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Plug-in tips (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=158570)

eytan 01-25-2006 07:51 AM

Plug-in tips

Hi,

How about Plug-in tips.

Which reverbs do you like to use for which source type? Which settings?
Which comp, gate, eq, effect plug-in etc.? How do you like to use it?

I have not operated the Venue yet by I will start soon, so I cannot give my own input. I would like to learn from what others have done.

I also invite people like Scovi and Dave Skaff, and other experienced engineers (monitor and FOH) to give their input.

Can this be arranged, Sheldon?

Sheldon Radford 01-30-2006 05:16 PM

Re: Plug-in tips

Hi Eytan,

I don't think Scovi or Skaff will mind me giving away a few of their secrets.

Dave is using TL Space on drums and Digi's ReVibe on vocals for the U2 tour.

On the recent Tom Petty tour Rob discovered Cranesong's Phoenix tape compression emulation plug-in and uses it on individual instruments (snare) and even the main mix bus, all with great effect.

Sheldon

dstagl 02-01-2006 07:50 AM

Does anyone know a way to get a tap tempo interface--maybe a pedal--for a delay plugin? Or to even use a footswitch for any of the plugins for that matter.

Dave

Sheldon Radford 02-01-2006 09:19 AM

Hi Dave,

Line 6's Echo Farm is currently the only delay plug-in which has a TAP button. We're looking at ways to have a footswitch or control surface button take on this function, but for now using the mouse is the only way to tap the tempo into the plug-in.

"It's on the list..."

Sheldon

eytan 03-01-2006 05:55 AM

I checked out the Echo Farm, it makes some nice sounds.

How about a plug-in that has a sub harmonic synthesizer, is there such a thing available for the VENUE?

mattpete 03-01-2006 01:13 PM

Aphex Big Bottom

meiseman 03-27-2006 08:28 AM

Sheldon,

do you know which Crane Song Phoenix plug-in Scovill was using?

(there are 5 different versions - right?)

thanks.

RScovill 03-30-2006 10:25 AM

Hey there,
In regards to the Cranesong Phoenix plug ins ... these are super and a great secret (well maybe not so secret anymore) weapon. On the Petty tour I was using them in numerous places. I used them on individual instruments such as bass and drums inclusive of compressed drum groups. Guitar solo channels etc. ... Works killer ... I used the Radiant setting with the middle switch selected and then just compress to taste. On vocals, if you have an excessively sibilant vocal try Dark Essence ... this was a life saver for me. I also used a varying amount of Radiant on the LR mix to simulate 1/2" tape saturation. I used the programmability to great effect here depending on the dynamic and the feel of a give song. Can't say enough good things about these plug ins. They really set a very high standard for other to try to match ... don't think I could ever work with out them now. They are "crack" for mixers for sure ... good luck!

Scovill out

dstagl 03-30-2006 11:35 AM

Are you still doing your mult'ed vocal thing with one natural and one squashed? If so, I'm curious how you're doing this on the Venue and how you are avoiding any latency related problems.

Thanks,
Dave

Sheldon Radford 04-05-2006 04:10 AM

Hi Dave,

VENUE features delay compensation delay compensation, which makes it possible to mix a direct channel w/ a heavily processed bus channel without any comb filtering / phasing.

Sheldon