Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   MacOS freezes ±30s. under ProTools !! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=14373)

Lo 10-27-1999 07:12 PM

MacOS freezes ±30s. under ProTools !!

I had this problem on two separates Mix+ stations..

The recording and/or playback keeps going, but nothing moves on the screen-except the pointer-for 30-40s.

Drives you crazy !!..

Happened on a PM 9600/300 with PT4.3 & on a G3/233 with PT4.3.1, both Mix+, still good stuff I hope ..

Let me know, folks ...

------------------

diver 10-28-1999 05:22 PM

Re: MacOS freezes ±30s. under ProTools !!

My dear friend,
I think you have a virus....yep..
I had this problem few months ago, the PT was still playing but without the correct automation.
Maybe its a worm virus, I don't quite remember, but you better use a program called "worm scanner".
It CAN NOT erase the virus, but it makes it "dead"
Try it, anyhow.

coaster 10-28-1999 05:36 PM

i am having intermittent automation glitches also; it locks and drifts randomly and occasionally. this happened when i upgraded to os8.6. could i have a virus? i thought the worm virus was for ibm's? does virus protection bother authorizations? i understood that we were not to have any virus protection active with pt installed, although i could be mistaken.

coaster

johnwhynot 10-29-1999 04:54 PM

This indeed is the primary symptom of AutoStart virus.

There is a cure, but you have to do things in the right order. Meanwhile, everyone, make absolutely certain you have made the following setting:

In the control panel "Quicktime Settings", select "Auto Play" in the pulldown menu. Disable both "CD Autoplay" and "CD-ROM Autoplay".

This prevents the AutoStart worm (it is properly termed a worm) from propagating.

This is a serious worm with some serious consequences, especially for users of MacOS 8.1. You should determine if this is the cause ASAP.

You can find most instances of this worm by using Sherlock to search for invisible files. If there is an invisible application called "DB", you've got it. Or an extension called "Desktop Printr Spooler". Note the spelling; there is a benign extension with slightly different spelling.

If indeed you have this thing, the pauses are caused by the worm running its application to find new uninfected disks and infect them. It also will search out files whose names end in ".dat" or ".data" and overwrite them with nonsense. There are reports of this worm destroying the directories on the startup disk, although no-one knows how exactly. I had this happen, and one theory was that the AutoStart worm was the culprit. I'm not 100% sure, as there were also issues with HDT Version 2.0.5 and MacOS8.1 which also caused what Apple called "Total, catastrophic data loss".

Nice, eh?

------------------
Score Mixer/Record Producer
www.parkedalien.com
CDs, Discussions, Creative Audio

coaster 10-29-1999 05:24 PM

okay, now you have me scared. the only real pause i have is right after startup, before the desktop returns to it's setting before restart. the machine will completely freeze for what seems like an eternity (about 5 seconds). the default setting of quicktime 3.2 'autoplay' after installing os8.6 is cd and cdrom autoplay enabled. the first cd 'autoplayed', after this i turned the funcion off. the only glitch's i am experiencing (sp)are the pause at startup (i still think it's just looking for other machines in a network-there are none) and the intermittent automation.
if i do have a virus, (i will look for the files you mentioned when i get home), it will be my first one ever on this machine- i have had it hooked to the net and had many "who knows" discs come and go from other people.
is there a virus 'eliminator'?
where did the virus come from?

-coaster

Joncon 10-30-1999 01:20 PM

I've also seen similar actions by having Iomega and/or Syquest drives and/or CD's loaded in the machine.

Dedending on what's going on with the Mac, it could, at any time, go out and poll all SCSI devices which means it may have to wait for a removable cartridge or CDRom to spin up before it continues it's thing...

Whenever I'm Pro Tooling I either remove all removable cartridges/CD's or disable their extensions.

But check for Viruses too...

Jon

Danny Caccavo 10-30-1999 04:24 PM

Virex will do a nice job at getting rid of stuff - but I've found that keeping it active all the time slows down PT for me (yes, I disabled "scan files at open"). Others have not had the same experience. I'm sure Norton Anti-virus will get rid of Autostart as well, and I haven't heard of any slowdown with Norton.

Lo 11-01-1999 06:20 PM

Worm scanner made the trick !!
Thanks to all.

Lo.