Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Routing Live Re-Renders from Dolby Atmos Production Suite into Protools HDX (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418221)

paulo m 12-15-2021 05:15 AM

Routing Live Re-Renders from Dolby Atmos Production Suite into Protools HDX

Hi,
using DAPS with Protools Ultimate HDX and MTRX. Renderer I/O is set to Core Audio driver, Dolby Audio Bridge as input and HDX as output. Protools playback engine set to Dolby Audio Bridge. Everything works fine, audio is routed into the DAPS and from there to HDX and on DADMan/MTRX, HDX is routed to AES/EBU to feed the room monitoring. I´ve set Live Re-Renders for 7.1, 5.1 and BIN and of course the main Renderer output in our 7.1.4 speaker configuration. I can monitor everything in real time. Now the tricky part: I want to re-route the live Re-Renders into Protools, in particular a Loudness Re-Render, so that I can use Nugen VISLM or Izotope Insight 2 to more accurately check loudness specs. As PT doesn´t allow different ins and outs devices on the playback engine and is set to Dolby Audio Bridge, how can I route the Re-Renders into PT?
I was thinking of routing the HDX in the MTRX to Dante as well, install Audinate DVS and create an aggregate using the Dolby Audio Bridge and the DVS to input into PT, placing the DVS outs before the DAB outs. In that case the Renderer out would be that aggregate. Not sure if that would work, in terms of proper routing and sync, any suggestions? I also have Source Nexus installed, could be another option, but I would need an aggregate as well. Thanks in advance for any info or ideas.

its2loud 12-15-2021 06:07 AM

Re: Routing Live Re-Renders from Dolby Atmos Production Suite into Protools HDX

Check out this workflow

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...ative-workflow

Since you are using a MTRX the setup might be different but the Source-Nexus workflow is the basis to getting Live Re-Renders back into Pro Tools with DAB.

There are other ways but it requires running a secondary host for the Loudness meter such as Logic or Resolve and routing the Live Re-Renders into those applications via DVS.

quadraphonics 12-15-2021 06:54 AM

I believe that there is a stand alone component to VISLM. If so, you could probably send a source-nexus out to that without having to go back into pro tools.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulo m (Post 2622647)
Hi,
using DAPS with Protools Ultimate HDX and MTRX. Renderer I/O is set to Core Audio driver, Dolby Audio Bridge as input and HDX as output. Protools playback engine set to Dolby Audio Bridge. Everything works fine, audio is routed into the DAPS and from there to HDX and on DADMan/MTRX, HDX is routed to AES/EBU to feed the room monitoring. I´ve set Live Re-Renders for 7.1, 5.1 and BIN and of course the main Renderer output in our 7.1.4 speaker configuration. I can monitor everything in real time. Now the tricky part: I want to re-route the live Re-Renders into Protools, in particular a Loudness Re-Render, so that I can use Nugen VISLM or Izotope Insight 2 to more accurately check loudness specs. As PT doesn´t allow different ins and outs devices on the playback engine and is set to Dolby Audio Bridge, how can I route the Re-Renders into PT?
I was thinking of routing the HDX in the MTRX to Dante as well, install Audinate DVS and create an aggregate using the Dolby Audio Bridge and the DVS to input into PT, placing the DVS outs before the DAB outs. In that case the Renderer out would be that aggregate. Not sure if that would work, in terms of proper routing and sync, any suggestions? I also have Source Nexus installed, could be another option, but I would need an aggregate as well. Thanks in advance for any info or ideas.

paulo m 12-15-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its2loud (Post 2622656)
Check out this workflow

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...ative-workflow

Since you are using a MTRX the setup might be different but the Source-Nexus workflow is the basis to getting Live Re-Renders back into Pro Tools with DAB.

There are other ways but it requires running a secondary host for the Loudness meter such as Logic or Resolve and routing the Live Re-Renders into those applications via DVS.

Thanks for the link, really interesting workflow. I´ll give it a try when I get back to the studio.

paulo m 12-19-2021 05:19 PM

OK,

so here´s how I ended up doing it, based on the kind replies out here😁

Setup: Protools HDX (1) Ultimate, MTRX, DAPS V3.7, Focusrite RED4.

Protools playback engine set to Dolby Audio Bridge. DAPS Renderer I/O set to DAB and HDX, respectively, using Core Audio as driver.

MTRX/DADMan:

Main room setup monitoring outs from the Renderer, as well as Live Re-Renders, come to MTRX/DADMan as Digilink and are routed to AES/EBU, to feed our room monitoring. Source selection is done on DADMan.

Re-Renders outs, including Loudness, also come to MTRX/DADMan as Digilink and are routed to Dante channels.

Then, those Dante channels are routed via Dante Controller from MTRX to DVS.

Enter Source Nexus plugin!

Set individual Aux channels in PT for the different channel layouts of your Live Re-Renders, 7.1, 5.1, Stereo, Loudness etc.

Create dummy busses in Bus I/O for the different channel layouts and apply them to the respective Auxes outputs, so that they don´t end up on the Renderer inputs.😁.

Now, insert the Source Nexus plugin on each Aux. On the Receive tab of the plugin, set the corresponding Dante channels as converted on the MTRX from Digilink to Dante.

You can now check the signals coming on the Auxes, but can´t hear them as their outputs don´t feed any monitoring (yet).

But you can now print them on PT and use a Loudness meter as an insert on those channels, mainly on the Loudness Re-Render.

To print, simply create the respective multichannel tracks and route the appropriate dummy busses to their inputs.

So, how about monitoring those print channel based tracks on the control room speaker setup, considering that PT playback engine is set to DAB and so far, no Aggregate Device was created?

On Dante Controller, route the necessary Dante channels on DVS to MTRX so that the Live Re-Renders print tracks can be used on DADMan monitoring profile.

Enter Source Nexus again and DVS! On each print track, insert Source Nexus. On the Send button of the plugin, choose the Dante channels that you´ve routed from DVS to MTRX.

Now on DADMan, and on top of the main Atmos and Live Re-Renders outputs, you can add PT sources to the switched Monitor Set that feeds the AES/EBU MTRX outs, that feed our room speakers (7.1.4).

There was no need for any Aggregate Device in Audio MIDI Setup.

Nugen Audio VISLM could also be used as standalone and fed from the same DVS Dante channels.

Binaural and Stereo Live Re-Renders as well as Headphone outs from the Renderer, come as Digilink, get converted to Dante on MTRX and via Dante Controller are routed to Focusrite RED4 headphone outs (using Rednet Control)

Thanks!

its2loud 12-20-2021 01:06 AM

Paulo,
You actually do not need to do the second part of this equation to hear the Re-renders coming out of the Renderer.

Since Renderer is using the HDX digilink as it’s output and that is going back to MYRX, you can use those sources within DADMan Monitor Profile to be able to switch to those sources directly. No need to use Source Nexus to Dante again from your record tracks. Unless of course you’re just wanting to hear those printed tracks.

Glad you got it sorted.

paulo m 12-20-2021 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its2loud (Post 2623181)
Paulo,
You actually do not need to do the second part of this equation to hear the Re-renders coming out of the Renderer.

Since Renderer is using the HDX digilink as it’s output and that is going back to MYRX, you can use those sources within DADMan Monitor Profile to be able to switch to those sources directly. No need to use Source Nexus to Dante again from your record tracks. Unless of course you’re just wanting to hear those printed tracks.

Glad you got it sorted.

Yes, I´m having the Live Re-Renders as source inputs to DADMan Monitor Profile, on top of the main 7.1.4 output from the Renderer.

I´ve only converted to Dante the outputs of the printed tracks, in order to have them as source inputs to DADMan Monitor Profile, in case I want to hear them. Also, the same output busses that are used on those tracks, can be used on other tracks that may have reference multichannel mixes, or other sort of material that may be relevant to the session and doesn´t need to be routed to the Renderer, only monitored if needed.

Thanks for the help!

its2loud 12-20-2021 04:00 PM

It’s definitely helpful to have some kind of monitoring path within Pro Tools. Just wish there was a way to do this natively with DAB. Perhaps in a future release.

LDS 12-24-2021 01:23 AM

Is is the requirement for 64+ channels that keeps you using DAB? If you can get away with 64 or less channels to the renderer, DVS does work quite well in my experiences with it. Whatever additional latency it has is hugely offset by not running HDX through core audio. It is something like 4ms vs 17ms for the latter.

paulo m 12-24-2021 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDS (Post 2623538)
Is is the requirement for 64+ channels that keeps you using DAB? If you can get away with 64 or less channels to the renderer, DVS does work quite well in my experiences with it. Whatever additional latency it has is hugely offset by not running HDX through core audio. It is something like 4ms vs 17ms for the latter.

Yes and no. I mean, since the DAPS allows to use the DAB for input, instead of Send/Return plugins, with proper clocking and also allows that the output be HDX, it simplifies the workflow as I can feed the physical HDX card digilink outputs directly into the MTRX via DADMan and enable it as source inputs to the loudspeaker monitoring of the room.

Regarding the 64 channel limit using DVS, the DAB also allows for the full 128 channels plus TC on channels 129 or 130, so if working with multiple beds/objects having the full channel count is great. I´m only using DVS to route the Loudness live re-render into Protools via Source Nexus so that I can use other loudness analysis tools such as Nugen VISLM or Izotope´s Insight 2 and eventually if needed, to print any of the live re-renders, although I can do that offline on the renderer and import later on a PT session for QC, pre delivery.

So that´s it basically.