Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Routing other apps to Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417207)

freakhouse 09-28-2021 01:31 PM

Routing other apps to Pro Tools

Currently I route the line output of my Mac into a couple of analog channels of my HD I/O so I can listen to audio from Chrome, etc. while Pro Tools is running. Is there a way to do this digitally staying in the box? Maybe with Pro Tools Aggregrate I/O? Aggregrate engine has always confused me tbh.

I'd like to be able to Skype for some online vocal lessons and still have access to my my mic and plugins.

albee1952 09-28-2021 02:40 PM

Re: Routing other apps to Pro Tools

I thought Sound Flower was the Mac solution for this:o

freakhouse 09-28-2021 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2614736)
I thought Sound Flower was the Mac solution for this:o

I installed Soundflower and made it the system output. Also did this below from Soundflowers instructions. Where is this supposed to be coming up as an input in Pro Tools so I can monitor it?

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"
in the the panel that appears on the right, select "Built-in Output" AND "Soundflower (2ch)"
then hit the button with the gear icon bottom left and select "use this device for sound output" (you should still be hearing your iTunes output -- it is now going to both Soundflower and the built-in speakers)

albee1952 09-28-2021 03:49 PM

Hmmm, maybe you need to configure aggregate IO to make it work? Working from memory here as I run PC:o

Sardi 09-28-2021 05:16 PM

Routing other apps to Pro Tools

You’re running HD.

You can’t use Soundflower etc. as it needs to work with Core Audio interfaces.

FYI - this question has come up a lot. Search the forum to see suggestions and what others are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobbyDazzler 09-28-2021 08:40 PM

Source Nexus is great for this

freakhouse 09-29-2021 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler (Post 2614767)
Source Nexus is great for this

Does that work with HD I/O ?

Rich Breen 09-30-2021 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakhouse (Post 2614857)
Does that work with HD I/O ?

Source Nexus doesn't care what kind of interface you've got - it's a way to route to/from CoreAudio through an AAX plug. Works well.

loopzilla2 09-30-2021 08:08 PM

Loopback by Rogue Amoeba is the solution you're looking for.

LDS 10-01-2021 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loopzilla2 (Post 2615005)

It won't work. Pro Tools takes exclusive control over HD hardware so that it isn't accessible to any other application running on the system.

Rich Breen 10-01-2021 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loopzilla2 (Post 2615005)

Loopback is great for re-routing CoreAudio, but it won't get you into an HD rig - Source Nexus will.

epm 10-04-2021 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakhouse (Post 2614732)
Currently I route the line output of my Mac into a couple of analog channels of my HD I/O so I can listen to audio from Chrome, etc. while Pro Tools is running. Is there a way to do this digitally staying in the box? Maybe with Pro Tools Aggregrate I/O? Aggregrate engine has always confused me tbh.

I'd like to be able to Skype for some online vocal lessons and still have access to my my mic and plugins.

As others have said...Aggregate with HD isn't an option unfortunately. Source Nexus is great, but if you don't require the full feature set it provides, You can always get a USB audio device that supports SPIDIF, and route the digital I/O to your HD/IO. I use a Behringer USB coreaudio interface that works great with my Avid Omni, older macs have built in optical audio support as well so thats another route you can go.