Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Quality cables. Does it really matter? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=35037)

east3rdst 10-29-2001 10:16 PM

Quality cables. Does it really matter?

Well of course it matters, but I wanted to draw in those sold on the importance of good cables. I guess I will need 4 quality 1/4" to run from my new 01v to my digi. Any thing to recommend? I want to upgrade my HOSA snake(heard they can make a bad connection with digi inputs). And how about the adat cable? Is the one that came with my 001 quality enough? Oh and sorry to ramble but,what would you guy's use for a 50'-100'stage snake?

billbo 10-29-2001 11:54 PM

Re: Quality cables. Does it really matter?

Well, I personaly use nothing but Canare but if you need a wide selection of bulk or pre-made cables to choose from, try out Markertek.

For my P.A. Snakes, I'm quite fond of the Whirlwind stuff.

Of course that's just my opinion!!!
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

CCash 10-30-2001 02:48 AM

This is one of those loaded questions which I'll probably never know the answer to. A guy at a hi-fi shop tried to bullsh*t me into buying $400 oxygen-free cables once... I said, "Please just get me the $40 dollar RCA". (That's pretty darned expensive anyway!)

I had a friend who worked at Electric Lady Studios and they had something like $2,000 cables running to their monitors... they were about a half inch thick. I wish I could - someday - do a blindfolded A-B with the $2k and a $40...

Sorry, had to ramble. Oh well, for now, if it doesn't crap out on me, I'm happy. (PS - a lot of people seem to concur with billbo's suggestions).

billbo 10-31-2001 01:56 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by CCash:
PS - a lot of people seem to concur with billbo's suggestions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What the hell???

I think that's a pretty damn C [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] L compliment!!!

Thanks CCash:

CCash 11-01-2001 01:43 AM

It seems that most pro studios use Canare or Mogami cable and Neutrik connectors. There's another connector brand I can't think of right now... Monster Cable is getting pretty standard now too.

Whirlwind snakes are pretty tough, and having a Markertek catalog around makes me happy. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

andyo 11-01-2001 07:39 AM

I highly suggest HOSA cables.

Just kidding [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

XHipHop 11-01-2001 09:10 AM

I use monster and have no complaints. I also like the fact that i can get them pretty much anywhere at a second's notice, if i need to. (all the moajor stores carry a big stock).

fiddle 11-01-2001 10:05 PM

hi, my theory about cable:
its all the same ****. Its all a gimmick, monster, gold connectors, etc.etc. the air cable I noticed a slight difference(meter wise, not audible). I have been building studios and broadcast facilities for a while now, noone Ive ever spoken to can tell the difference.

belden cable, cheapest and great
neutrik or switchcraft connectors
everything i have ever done has been with these 2 things, never a complaint..

lwilliam 11-02-2001 12:22 AM

I use the Monster studio 500 series for as many connections as I can.

I have a box of slightly used Hosa cables and snakes for sale...anyone game?

One thing to watch out for with Monster cables is that the 1/4" plugs don't always fit quite right (they're a little tight for some jacks).