Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Batch Renaming Bug... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=423112)

JR Fountain 01-10-2023 07:40 AM

Batch Renaming Bug...

Hey all,

Anybody else experience this? Whenever I use Batch Renaming on files the name takes in PT but not in the Finder. My solution is after I batch rename, I reselect the files in the Clips list, select Rename and then hit enter through all the rename dialog boxes that pop up. That commits the names in the Finder.

Thx,
J.R.

Rich Breen 01-10-2023 08:25 AM

Re: Batch Renaming Bug...

That's how it's always worked. Batch Rename renames the clips, not the files.

colinato 01-10-2023 08:30 AM

It would certainly be a nice option to have a checkbox or something in the batch rename dialogue box to rename the files as well.

JR Fountain 01-10-2023 08:51 AM

Hmmm. Didn't realize that. That seems a big oversight in my opinion. I rarely name clips, always files.

Thx for the clarification.

BScout 01-10-2023 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colinato (Post 2658330)
It would certainly be a nice option to have a checkbox or something in the batch rename dialogue box to rename the files as well.

Has been asked over and over again since Avid released batch clip naming.
Avid has ignored us.
And it isn’t an oversight as much as intentionally being left out. The concern was accidentally overwriting files. (Easy fix! Warning dialogue if that is going to happen!)
I would even take a batch “commit clip names to whole files” command. 2 step process but then at least Avid’s worry of accidentally doing it are gone.

nednednerb 01-11-2023 10:54 AM

Workflow:

File names originally used do not change for originally used files.
Clip names vary from files but relate to filenames.
One three second audio file as a PT clip:
Imagine a clip separation at second 1:00 and second 2:00.
Do you really mean you want 3 additional files created and auto-named?
Nahhhhh

Now 3 clips and one filename. Imagine using batch rename. 3 clips, but ONE file, remember. You get auto-named clips, not 3 separate 1 second files.

Following so far? How is this supposed to work if not how it does??

What I do, intentionally and highly functionally, is simply to Command+Shift+K my selected, batch renamed clips and export to another folder. If needed, I reimport them. If I just need them in PT and I don't need them in Finder, what do I need each clip named in Finder for? If exporting, why sort through a potentially convoluted Audio Files folder? Could use "Bounced Files" or even *gasp* name your own folder. Simple workaround.

Not naming files automatically using clip batch rename makes the most sense. Hands down.

BScout 01-11-2023 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nednednerb (Post 2658469)
One three second audio file as a PT clip:
Imagine a clip separation at second 1:00 and second 2:00.
Do you really mean you want 3 additional files created and auto-named?

No.
Clips aren't always full files but clips can be full files.
No one wants renaming to "create" files.

We want it to work just as file/clip re-naming does but as a batch process. Currently, if you re-name a (single) clip that is a sub-section of a file, the name only goes to the clip. If you re-name a clip that is a complete file, you have the option to rename the whole file in addition to the clip. It's an option selection.

It's a pretty basic concept: do the same thing as renaming does normally but now be able to do it as a batch process. Batch clip renaming does not allow that.

Rich Breen 01-12-2023 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nednednerb (Post 2658469)
...Following so far? How is this supposed to work if not how it does??
...Not naming files automatically using clip batch rename makes the most sense. Hands down.

I see no reason why batch renaming can't give you the option to rename *full* clips like a single rename currently does. The workaround is awkward and time consuming.

nednednerb 01-12-2023 08:16 PM

So it seems to be in spec for the function.

It doesn't know whether clips are the same file. How does it choose which clip to pull the file name from? A million dialog "replace this" windows.

Guaranteed using your clip naming conventions and Batch Export are 2 minutes work.

That said, make a feature request. Just isn't a bug. It's working as it is designed to in my opinion.

I also made a SoundFlow script which turns 60+ keypresses I always do at end of certain projects, fade, gain, batch rename, export, goes to folder. So, from my perspective, Pro Tools can already do this. I don't worry about storage space or the fact "I cannot just rename the filename this time this context" -- I can name any clip and any file any name I want.

smurfyou 01-12-2023 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nednednerb (Post 2658644)
That said, make a feature request. Just isn't a bug. It's working as it is designed to in my opinion.

Right, it's not a bug. It's a very old feature request. The batch renamer is *almost* good enough. I don't see it working as designed if it can't batch rename the same way as a regular rename.