Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Carbon (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Panic about new Carbon purchase connections (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417085)

Southsidemusic 09-19-2021 04:38 AM

Panic about new Carbon purchase connections

Ok so we bought a carbon to try out properly. As many know we have a bog full studio but the tech stuff is something I suck at.

So it says that Carbon runs on Ethernet cable (included?) or thunderbolt ethernet to Thunderbolt. So it also says some ethernet to tbolt doesn’t work with AVB so what do we actually need as we will run the Carbon on a 12 core trashcan and Thats Thunderbolt 2 as we have our 7.1 macs filmed with Apollo X series so this carbon has to work with a trashcan. I still use mojave but thats not gonna work as I read so about the connections, can or should we use the ethernet cable included or buy a adapter, if so do we need a tb 3 and then a tb2 too as the Mac is TB2?

Did we buy the carbon before thinking about this as it might not work with a Trashcan?

Please please advice you guys who run Apple and know what is best, ethernet from Carbon into ethernet port on trashcan or adapter and what do we need? One or two for tb3 or tb2 depending on what Carbon needs using the ethernet cable as there isn’t a Tbolt port on the carbon which we found out after unpacking so WTF is there no TB port ??? Feels very old!

Sardi 09-19-2021 04:46 AM

There’s no TB port because it doesn’t connect via TB. It’s using AVB which connects via Ethernet.

Go directly via Ethernet to the Carbon. The Trashcan has 2 x Ethernet connections, so you’re fortunate in that you don’t need an adaptor if you need Ethernet for other usage.

Also, you’ll need to upgrade that MP 6,1 to Catalina and run minimum PT 2020.11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southsidemusic 09-19-2021 05:01 AM

Re: Panic about new Carbon purchase connections

Wow Thank you brother! So we dont need to run the carbon with Thunderbolt then and use it like you described? That sounds soo much easier :-)

So as we never used catalina does anyone know where to download the 10.15.0 as we cant go direct from mojave to atalina 10.15.7 combo as it says we need 10.15.0 first. Anyone have any idea where to downmoad the first Cat so we can then run the 10.15.7 combo or single version. Still dont know what combo means as i thought we could run that right over mojave but that doesn’t work :(

its2loud 09-19-2021 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2614033)
Wow Thank you brother! So we dont need to run the carbon with Thunderbolt then and use it like you described? That sounds soo much easier :-)

So as we never used catalina does anyone know where to download the 10.15.0 as we cant go direct from mojave to atalina 10.15.7 combo as it says we need 10.15.0 first. Anyone have any idea where to downmoad the first Cat so we can then run the 10.15.7 combo or single version. Still dont know what combo means as i thought we could run that right over mojave but that doesn’t work :(

This should do the trick. Follow the link using safari only then scroll down the page.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

Sardi 09-19-2021 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2614033)

its2loud’s link will get you the Catalina installer. It will be the latest release, so no need to grab any updates after that. There may be some security patches, but just run software update once installed and it will update those.

FYI - Combo updaters contain all the point updates. So if you had 10.15.0 installed, the 10.15.7 combo update contains all the incremental changes from .0 to .7. A regular update only contains the changes from the prior release. Eg: .6 to .7. That’s why combo updates are much bigger in size compared to regular updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Southsidemusic 09-19-2021 06:42 AM

You guys are incredible :-)

Huge Big Warm Thanks from a Cold rainy sweden. Gonna try this in a few minutes! Best / Christopher

jeffro 09-19-2021 03:19 PM

I'm running mine on a 2019 iMac's built-in Ethernet, but have also run it with the recommended adapters.

The Pro Tools | Carbon Support and Compatibility KB (linked from the Start Here sticky at the top of this subforum) has a section about Network Requirements & AVB Adapters that covers this. Hope that helps!

Southsidemusic 09-19-2021 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro (Post 2614081)
I'm running mine on a 2019 iMac's built-in Ethernet, but have also run it with the recommended adapters.

The Pro Tools | Carbon Support and Compatibility KB (linked from the Start Here sticky at the top of this subforum) has a section about Network Requirements & AVB Adapters that covers this. Hope that helps!

You are the Best Jeffro and all you kind helpful members :-)

Matt Hepworth 09-24-2021 06:02 PM

Works great on a Trashcan here.

Southsidemusic 09-25-2021 01:22 AM

Yes it works perfect here too thanks to all your help :-)

K Roche 09-26-2021 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2614538)
Yes it works perfect here too thanks to all your help :-)

What struck me having transitioned from a HD Native card and OMNI - 5.1 Cheesegrater

To Carbon and iMac was how simple and quick the set up was.. Connect the ethernet cable ----DONE