Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Carbon (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Pro tools Carbon and ADAT (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=413379)

Rob Hannon 12-27-2020 04:37 AM

Pro tools Carbon and ADAT

Hi guys

I'm currently undergoing a major studio upgrade and I'm hoping that it wont be too long before Avid develops a windows version of Carbon.

I understand that Carbon can handle 16 tracks of ADAT inputs along with its own 8 channels of Mic pre's.

I have a 16 channel analog mixing desk which I still want to use however my current AD/DA convert is a MOTU 24 I/O which uses firewire. I'm looking to replace this with something that can convert the tape outputs of the mixing desk into ADAT which I can then plug into the Carbon ADAT inputs thus only using 1 interface (I don't want to use ASIOforall and multiple interfaces).

I don't mind several interfaces as long as they are connected to Carbon and not directly to the computer.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks
Rob

trimix 01-02-2021 09:39 AM

Re: Pro tools Carbon and ADAT

I just installed Carbon this week and was using a MOTU 16A previously to interface with my 16 channel Trident. The MOTU will continue to be my console interface, just used in stand-alone converter mode and connected to Carbon via the ADAT i/o.
All the DSP processing on the MOTU inputs remains available when running stand-alone and can be controlled by a web-browser connected over wi-fi.

JoelG 01-02-2021 12:15 PM

As I undertand it, the reason there is no Windows support for the Carbon is Windows does not have native AVB support. Hopefully that comes some time, but I wouldn't buy the Carbon expecting it to be soon (it may never happen).

See this thread: https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?...carbon+windows

Joel

darkwavo 08-13-2021 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Hannon (Post 2588560)
Hi guys

I'm currently undergoing a major studio upgrade and I'm hoping that it wont be too long before Avid develops a windows version of Carbon.

I understand that Carbon can handle 16 tracks of ADAT inputs along with its own 8 channels of Mic pre's.

I have a 16 channel analog mixing desk which I still want to use however my current AD/DA convert is a MOTU 24 I/O which uses firewire. I'm looking to replace this with something that can convert the tape outputs of the mixing desk into ADAT which I can then plug into the Carbon ADAT inputs thus only using 1 interface (I don't want to use ASIOforall and multiple interfaces).

I don't mind several interfaces as long as they are connected to Carbon and not directly to the computer.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks
Rob

Are there sample rate limitations on ADAT connection with Carbon ???

dominicperry 08-13-2021 03:53 AM

Standard 2 port ADAT setup - 16 channels at 44.1 and 48, 8 channels at 88.2 and 96 and 4 channels at 176.4 and 192.

Matt Hepworth 09-24-2021 06:10 PM

I currently use 16 channels of Symphony I/O, but also briefly used an AD16X. Both are excellent options and AD16X units are stupid cheap.

Progear 09-26-2021 07:04 PM

Just got carbon 2 weeks ago, been using it with ferrofish pulse16 to connect to external gear, works perfectly.. :D

scremedy 02-08-2023 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Progear (Post 2614624)
Just got carbon 2 weeks ago, been using it with ferrofish pulse16 to connect to external gear, works perfectly.. :D

ProGear - I'm looking for the same solution. Would like to get 16 channels of 48K out of my Carbon into a 16ch i/o on FerroFish. What's confusing me is that the Carbon has 4 ADAT ports and the FerroFish has 8. You were able to get 16 I/O with 4 ports on your Ferrofish?

Thanks for clarifying for me.

dominicperry 02-09-2023 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scremedy (Post 2661361)
ProGear - I'm looking for the same solution. Would like to get 16 channels of 48K out of my Carbon into a 16ch i/o on FerroFish. What's confusing me is that the Carbon has 4 ADAT ports and the FerroFish has 8. You were able to get 16 I/O with 4 ports on your Ferrofish?

Thanks for clarifying for me.

Ferrofish supports 16 channels at 96KHz whereas the Carbon only supports 16 channels at 48KHz, or 8 channels a 96KHz. Hence the difference in the number of ports.

Dominic

scremedy 02-09-2023 07:15 AM

Thanks Dominic for the level set.