Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trackball vs Mouse (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=1468)

Bill Miller 10-04-2000 10:59 AM

Trackball vs Mouse

Hi there, I'm looking to get some feedback from working Pro Tools professionals as to what seems to be the best way of interfacing with your sessions. I've noticed that a great deal of the post people are using trackballs. How about the music people? I only spent a few minutes using a trackball but it felt very stange and if anything slowed me down. I'm sure I would probably get used to it after a while. If anyone has feedback as to what exact brands of either mice or trackballs there using and the main advantages I would be greatly thankful! Peace Bill.

iamstudios 10-04-2000 11:20 AM

Re: Trackball vs Mouse

hi bill,

we mainly use Logitech trackballs over here (the ones where you have the ball just beneath your thumb) I must say I'm real glad with it and works great for selecting regions and stuff and reliefs RSI problems. We also like pen tablets over here. Indeed, it's getting used two either the trackball or the pen-tablet but once you master it, you're fast! I wish Digi had the touch-sensitive pad on the ProControl replaced for a trackball... would be A LOT better..

see ya

imperium

KingTor 10-04-2000 02:46 PM

(the new edit module of the pro control has a track ball)

I, for one, have never gotten used to track balls, and I don't want to. I do want to get a pen and tablet one of these days, but for the most part, I'm all about the mouse.

fatcatpost 10-04-2000 02:49 PM

Apple mouse all the way. Sped up with Kensington Mouseworks.

Jonny Atack 10-04-2000 03:29 PM

A mouse doesn't work very well if you have it and the keyboard set on the console, like I usually do. The mouse requires too much space to move around and ends up hitting faders. To get around this, I switched a year ago to the Kensington Track Ball (the one with four buttons and the billiard-sized ball). The four buttons are great for constantly-used shortcuts.

Jon

doug sjostrom 10-04-2000 03:37 PM

I have all 3. I never got used to the tablet. Trackball is OK, but the mouse works best for me. I too use Ken. Mouse Works to speed it up.

Strider 10-04-2000 04:05 PM

The Kensington Turbo Mouse (a trackball, the one Jonny Atack mentioned)is one of the best time savers I have.

I recommend it, but wouldn't without the wrist pad you use with it.

Mark

Dog BBQ 10-04-2000 04:12 PM

TrackBall!!!!!!!

------------------
[email protected]
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>The Greatest Risk in Life is Doing Nothing<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

rat1016 10-04-2000 06:57 PM

Anyone using the new "optical" mouse from apple? I was thinking of getting one of them, or a trackball.

vici 10-04-2000 07:01 PM

The nice thing about the WACOM TABLET (I have the $99 Graphire) is that you can use the pen OR the wireless, programable, 3 button, scroll wheel mouse. AND it comes bundled with Photoshop LE and Corel's ClassicPainter.