Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Help on building up a Recording Booth (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=47837)

eddybertrand 08-13-2002 02:46 PM

Help on building up a Recording Booth

I only have $1,500.00 to built or buy a recording booth 7.5 feet * 10feet

I went to www.whisperroom.com & they have great stuffs, it's just that i can not afford that much

Any suggestions on that issue?

Thanks

eddybertrand 08-13-2002 03:28 PM

Re: Help on building up a Recording Booth

Knock knock knock

eddybertrand 08-13-2002 03:50 PM

Come on guys Please I need help!

I will apreciate your input on this

DougSt.Louis 08-13-2002 04:07 PM

1. Go to Home Depot
2. Buy 2x4 Studs($2.00 each)
3. Build a Staggered studded frame, alternating the 2x4's on the top and bottom stud. This separates the inside and outside walls thus keeping sound out.
4. Purchase R13 insulation(Home Depot $11.00/roll) and staple it between the studs on your frame.
5. Create a "elevated floor" using the studs.
6. Install sound cover over frame and fire retardent drywall over sound cover(the more layers the better).
7. Be sure to leave space in frame for window.
8. Apply Auralex to walls.

Hope this helps some [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

eddybertrand 08-13-2002 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by DougSt.Louis:
1. Go to Home Depot
2. Buy 2x4 Studs($2.00 each)
3. Build a Staggered studded frame, alternating the 2x4's on the top and bottom stud. This separates the inside and outside walls thus keeping sound out.
4. Purchase R13 insulation(Home Depot $11.00/roll) and staple it between the studs on your frame.
5. Create a "elevated floor" using the studs.
6. Install sound cover over frame and fire retardent drywall over sound cover(the more layers the better).
7. Be sure to leave space in frame for window.
8. Apply Auralex to walls.

Hope this helps some [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks DougSt.Louis
I'll try this ,by the way what Sound Cover are you talking about,where can I get it?

Thanks again

gargoyle 08-14-2002 06:04 AM

-Don't forget doors, use 2@ heavy exterior doors, or heavy solid core office doors.

-Glass, I'd say to use 2 non-parallel 1/4" panels of glass. I'd stay away from double glazed thermal glass. It's too thin and might vibrate worse.

-ventalation, your going to need lots. One nervous singer can stink up a room that size in a jiffy. Can you imagine a Drummer? There is no easy solution for this one. I'm a producer of Isolation cabinets for sound gear and that is the hardest part, ventation without noise/hum/vibration.

-wire passage. It's very handy to have a hard wired in/out wall panel but expensive and difficult to wire. alternative, A block of rubber foam (8" x 8" x 6") that sits in the same size hole in the wall. The foam has slit in it to allow wires to pass through. The foam block comes out, feed the wires you want through it, stick the whole thing back in the wall.

-Floor, float it on rubber or Styro, double it up. drywall in between layers. Add bulk and density to it.

Hope this helps.

Sean