Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Carbon (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=161)
-   -   Carbon and Eucon, S3 and AVB?? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417402)

Armando 10-16-2021 12:08 PM

Carbon and Eucon, S3 and AVB??

Hello! What’s the latest on compatibility with these technologies and Carbon/PT Ultimate?? Thanks!!

albee1952 10-17-2021 07:51 AM

Re: Carbon and Eucon, S3 and AVB??

What's the question? Carbon/S3/AVB all work well with a compatible Apple computer. Eucon works well on both Apple and Windows computers. AVB doesn't work on any Windows computer yet(sadly). Eucon allows the S3 to act as a control surface on most any system(just not as an interface). What did I miss?:o

Armando 10-17-2021 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2616196)
What's the question? Carbon/S3/AVB all work well with a compatible Apple computer. Eucon works well on both Apple and Windows computers. AVB doesn't work on any Windows computer yet(sadly). Eucon allows the S3 to act as a control surface on most any system(just not as an interface). What did I miss?:o

Thanks! I’m just in the process of going from HD(TDM) to HDX and would like to know all the avenues available.

albee1952 10-17-2021 04:05 PM

Its good to investigate everything, but I'm still not sure what the question is. Maybe it would help if you describe your needs and your budget:o

LukeHoward 10-17-2021 08:49 PM

FWIW I don't think there will be a way to combine the AVB part of the S3 with the Carbon in any meaningful way; first, only a single Carbon is supported with the Hybrid Engine, and the S3 uses an older AVB packet format.

albee1952 10-18-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeHoward (Post 2616235)
FWIW I don't think there will be a way to combine the AVB part of the S3 with the Carbon in any meaningful way; first, only a single Carbon is supported with the Hybrid Engine, and the S3 uses an older AVB packet format.

True. But S3 can still act as a Eucon control surface with Carbon as the interface.

Armando 10-18-2021 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2616269)
True. But S3 can still act as a Eucon control surface with Carbon as the interface.

What about adding an AVB switch like the MOTU product?

albee1952 10-18-2021 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armando (Post 2616272)
What about adding an AVB switch like the MOTU product?

I would dig thru the Carbon manual for that. I suspect that AVB switches are not approved, but I could be wrong. I believe I have read that to use Carbon AND S3, Carbon would connect to the Ethernet port and S3 would connect to a thunderbolt port with the proper adapter.

dominicperry 10-18-2021 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2616300)
I would dig thru the Carbon manual for that. I suspect that AVB switches are not approved, but I could be wrong. I believe I have read that to use Carbon AND S3, Carbon would connect to the Ethernet port and S3 would connect to a thunderbolt port with the proper adapter.

My recollection is that there is no 'support' for either hubs (MOTU or otherwise) nor for use of the 2nd port (for any reason). However, I think if you dig back through this sub-forum you will find someone who has hooked another AVB device up to the second Carbon port - I think it was an S3.

Dominic

EDIT: Here it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by quicksticks4 (Post 2592099)
I have my Carbon wired directly into my Mac Mini (late 2018, only one ethernet port) and my Artist Control going into the second ethernet port on Carbon. Artist Control is working great with this setup.

Makes me curious, can Carbon pass a hard-wired internet signal through to the computer via the second ethernet port as well?