Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Avid Video Engine Was Unable To Stop (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=381184)

EdwardG 05-23-2016 07:47 AM

Avid Video Engine Was Unable To Stop

Anyone with a fix for that?
Working on the go with a Macbook pro, deadline 2 days from now, every time it happens I have to reset the buffer size to keep working... I'm gonna miss the deadline.

I am not doing much, working on 2 sdd hardrive and just 20 tracks for foley and effects and 3 avid eqs... no more than that..

16 gb ram i7 quadcore
protools 12.5
codec for video PRORES Proxy very tiny around 360

Chief Technician 05-23-2016 08:48 AM

Re: Avid Video Engine Was Unable To Stop

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwardG (Post 2358999)
Anyone with a fix for that?

No, sorry.
Quote:

Working on the go with a Macbook pro, deadline 2 days from now, every time it happens I have to reset the buffer size to keep working…

Setup-->Preferences-->Operation-->Play Start Latency - What happens if you set this to something other than 1?

Quote:

I'm gonna miss the deadline.

I am not doing much, working on 2 sdd hardrive

Do you have TRIM enabled on these SSDs? What is the purpose of each SSD?

Quote:

and just 20 tracks for foley and effects and 3 avid eqs... no more than that..

Do you have any other apps open? A web browser, a mail client, a PDF reader, etc.?

Quote:

16 gb ram i7 quadcore
protools 12.5
codec for video PRORES Proxy very tiny around 360

Which OS? The size of the PRORES (proxy) is unlikely to be the source of the problem.

Have you opened a support case with Avid?

mdvirtual 05-23-2016 09:25 AM

Maybe try running the video from the other SSD? Also, I've had the best luck with the video set to actual size so there's no processor or GPU hit for scaling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EdwardG 05-23-2016 09:35 AM

Trying right know the Play start latency at 3.
tried 5... is a no no, it would slow down my workflow very much.

Trim is enabled.

One SSD mac os x 10.9.5 and the Video File. (Mavericks worked until now just perfect for me not willing to change)
SECOND SSD Libraries and stuff

No apps at all, dropbox in the Mac OS upper bar.

I mean that the size is 480 x 360 and being proxy etc it should not be the problem I suppose...

no time to go asking avid I've got 2 days for deadline...
cant even be here typing this... if there is no known fix then Im off working as it is right know U_U.

It's being really a pain in the arse, I needed to change buffer size around 30 times in an hour so the video engine works again...

thanks anyway

EdwardG 05-23-2016 10:55 AM

Tried with play back delay at 3 and 5 now...

none fixes the problem...

Chief Technician 05-23-2016 02:38 PM

Are you using Pro Tools | HD? If so, do you have free memory (check /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor)? If yes, set Setup-->Playback Engine-->Disk Cache to the value of free memory and see if it helps.

TVPostSound 06-14-2016 06:01 PM

12.5.1 Still has video engine failed to shut down.

Just saying.

KV626 06-15-2016 04:21 AM

Re: 12.5.1 Still has video engine failed to shut down.

That's too bad - I guess I'll stick to 12.4 a little longer then.

Stereo Missile 06-15-2016 04:49 AM

Re: 12.5.1 Still has video engine failed to shut down.

Yep I had the Video Engine was Unable to Stop error a couple of times today on 12.5.1 also.

I also had another editing crash while trying to select a midi region on an instrument track. Early days yet but it seems fairly similar to 12.5 to me so far in terms of stability.

PostMorgan 06-17-2016 01:35 PM

We've just been testing 12.5.0

Trying to determine if we can run using just one HDX card instead of 2, to save $$$ of course!

Printed 5.1 and stereo STEMs without any issue with 2 HDX cards. Because voices were only at 202, pulled one HDX card and printed STEMs again.

THIS is when picture would freeze about 14 minutes in, always at the same location.

Then would have to force quit Pro Tools, open again, remove video and delete video track.

If this is AVIDs way to forcing long time users to buy more gear, it is a very DIRTY move on their part.

AVID - FIX YOUR SH#T!!!