Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

Keith Owens 03-14-2004 03:29 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Quote:

Good ideas, Keith. Thanks...I'll do that when I remix it. I think I need to have it resung though (not by me), so I won't be so shy with the vocal level for the final mix. I did a quick bounce without vocals, and I think the tracks-only mix is pretty good. Here's that mix if you care to listen.
thanks, Roy

Like a Vampire-music only

Actually Roy I like the singing very much. And the level is fine where its at, I was just having to strain my ears a bit to catch the words, but not much. As far as the guitar part, the abrupt stop of the last notes caught my attention, and I was hearing either a delay fadeout or a slide down.
But truthfully there is nothing wrong with your vocals. They fit the song perfectly.

groovilator 03-14-2004 10:28 PM

First thing I'd say fh.....s (what the hell kind of handle is that? )is that I've heard no fewer than a thousand songs that are much worse than "Worst Song Ever." I rather like this one and it sounds radoiable (<<new word here. Someone call Webster.).

I'm no mixing expert but from what I heard I think guitars and bass sound great the way they are.
Drums are a little too upfront, though, especially hi-hat and toms. Try compressing all the drum tracks for starters and just make sure they're loud enough to propel the song without really standing out.
Vocals are well sung but suffer in this mix. They sound a bit muffled and not upfront enough. You definitely need to brighten them a bit with EQ and since you say you're new to this mixing racket allow me to suggest bussing at least the lead vocal to an Auxiliary track where you can put Verbs and/or delays. (Sure, you can put those on the vocal track itself but a STEREO aux track will give you a wider vocal image, plus it's easier to adust the dry-to-wet ratio.) If you want info/advice on how to set up and use an aux track just ask (I'm trying not to drag out this post).

Great job fh.......s!

-----------------------
tonyreymusic.com

groovilator 03-14-2004 10:55 PM

Micah – cool instrumental. Rhythm section doesn’t quite match the guitars in volume or tone, e.g. guitars are very bright and loud, drums are very dark and sort of in the background, (as per my comment to fh—h—ds) not loud enough to propel the song.

Olaf – if you could only hear me laughing right now. Your “Blue Moon" and mouse rehearsal take me straight back (or make me flash back?) to my teenage psychadelic days sitting in a garage at 6 am coming off an intense peak and being really absurd.

Try to get some more listening in later.

Micah777 03-15-2004 07:10 AM

spkguitar, thanks for listening. The horns are real... real samples that is. lol I'd tell people not on this forum they're real if they'd ask. Technically, its not a lie b/c someone really played the sample, right? In fact, on my website I give a shout out to two fictious people for laying down those trumpet tracks for me, very naughty, I know.

Tony- thanks for listening. I appreciate your comments. I had the snare up but I felt it took away from the muted guitar riff at the beginning so I brought it down a little. My feeling is that the drums and bass are basically playing the same pattern through the whole song so I don't want them taking up too much "ear space". I do however, agree with you on the EQ I may go back and bring up some high end on the snare. You may be absolutely right though (if there is such a thing in mixing) I don't have near as much experience recording and mixing drums as I do other instruments.

Do you guys agree with Tony? We Three Geets

Roy Howell 03-15-2004 08:41 AM

fhqwhgads,
I had to copy and paste your name, because I couldn't remember to retype it...

I was expecting 'Worst Song Ever' to be less than it is, because of the title, I guess. But this is a really good song and arrangement, and so are your vocals. You mentioned being new with PT, so the production is understandably not as good as it can and will be. I think your stuff will be just great once you get going more with PT. Mix-wise, I would focus on the timbre of your fine voice for one thing. Right now, it has an overall 'muffle' to it, and it can be so much better.
You're obviously a fine songwriter and singer...play us some more stuff when you can.
-Roy

Also Micah...I'm in Memphis, not Nashville...and what do you do for a living?
thanks, Roy

Micah777 03-15-2004 08:54 AM

Quote:

Also Micah...I'm in Memphis, not Nashville...and what do you do for a living?

Sorry Roy, I was writing from memory... I guess it failed me. I make the real bucks as the Systems Administrator for an environmental firm. As far as my involvement in music goes, I get a little scratch as the worship leader at my church. I'm also looking to start a "secular" performance oriented rock band.

groovilator 03-15-2004 09:34 AM

Micah, I just took another listen to We Three Geets again (what a great word...what the hell's a geet?) This time louder - my previous listen occured at 12:30 am so I was respecting the sleeping habits of all the dayjobbers around me. Anyway, it made a difference in my perception of the relative volumes I was hearing and I think you're right, volume's good, just a tad more highs in the snare. And one other nit-picky thing I forgot to mention (that's why we post, right?), the cymbal crashes in the middle of the tune sound a bit jarring to me. I would suggest taking out some of the highs in those. But that's just me and who da f!@# am I!?

fhqwhgads 03-15-2004 05:15 PM

First of all, thanks to everyone for the kind words and encouragement. Second, WRT the name of the song, I had a dream once that I was a rock star on the Simpsons, and that the comic book store guy called my song the "worst song ever." And third, to explain my screen name, it's from a very funny (IMO) website called homestarrunner.com.

spkguitar - You're absolutely right about the drums. I'm still struggling to find the right places to tweak the kick drum EQ so that it stands out more. As for reverb, part of the problem is that I'm mixing in my basement, which is kind of a live room. So I think I'm hearing the room's natural reverb when monitoring. In applying reverb to drums, there seem to be a number of options...room verbs, drum plates, etc. I assume it's simply a matter of making a selection using your ears?

groovilator - Thanks for the tips. I tried using the "New York compression trick" I read about here - bussing a copy of the drum track to a stereo Aux track and applying heavy compression. Might have overdone it a bit.

Roy (and groovilator) - I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with the vocals. In listening to the vocals, I feel like they sound as though they were recorded at a higher speed, then slowed down. Maybe that's my natural voice, I don't know. Any ideas on how to "un-muffle" the vocals?

Thanks again, you guys are great.

jjhuntfox 03-15-2004 06:02 PM

Great tune. I like the mix. Listened to it twice. The crash cymbals in the middle might come down a little bit but I like them. The guitar playing the melody, first part and near the end, I'd put a touch of highs on it. It seems a bit too mellow. It is not a matter of volume but it sometimes gets buried in the mix.

John

badperson 03-15-2004 07:32 PM

just catching up on some listening...

Brad, I thought your stuff was cool. Nice background vox on 'never left alone.' How did you get your guitar sound?

Krone, I like the singing on 'fadeaway.' Nice soundgarden vibe. I like the intro, with the low key vox. Very cool sounding.

Roy, I agree on the vox. As a 'vocally challenged' singer myself, I relate. The sequencing and drum programming sounds great, as usual. Do you have a triton studio? I want one of those someday.
Quote:

fhqwhgads,
I had to copy and paste your name, because I couldn't remember to retype it...

me too
fhqwhgads, I liked your song. Did you use a limiter on the master fader? Maybe to bring it up a bit. the vox sound a little buried, but a good song.

rabidium, very nice sound. I like the guitars a lot. Very cool concept for the song, drifting and dreaming with a little toungue and cheek sound. very cool.

'the way' is very cool, especially the intro. Just my two cents, but I would have had that vibrato at a slower rate, but that's just me. It's a great groove, and paints a very nice texture.

thanks all.

bp