Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Artist Series (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   PT9.0.3 SIGBUS crashes - EuCon to blame? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=304879)

A Chapman 07-25-2011 01:50 PM

PT9.0.3 SIGBUS crashes - EuCon to blame?

My system :

2.2ghz i7 Macbook Pro, 10.6.7, 4GB RAM
Pro Tools 9.0.3 / EuControl 2.6.0 75358
Euphonix MC Mix

Audio / libraries are on an external FW800 drive.

My laptop is brand new, and I've been getting near constant crashes like this since my first day of using it, and installing PT9 and EuControl 2.6 - excerpts from a typical crash report :

Quote:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000ccecffa4
Crashed Thread: 23
If we scoot down to thread 23 we see the following :

Quote:

Thread 23 Crashed:
0 ...igidesign.personality.EuCon 0x2c7123b7 SOCCreateObject + 139374
1 ...igidesign.personality.EuCon 0x2c720fbc SOCCreateObject + 199795
2 ...igidesign.personality.EuCon 0x2c722046 SOCCreateObject + 204029
3 ...igidesign.personality.EuCon 0x2c722a43 SOCCreateObject + 206586

4 com.digidesign.framework.HWC 0x2b466949 THWC_TokenListenerMgr::THWC_TokenListenerMgr(TBase Controller*, void*, TTokenTask*, TTokenTask*) + 459
5 ...gidesign.framework.ProTools 0x018d4694 MFortressHWBPEntryPoint_exit_mfort6317_ + 16087671
6 ...gidesign.framework.ProTools 0x018d48b7 MFortressHWBPEntryPoint_exit_mfort6317_ + 16088218
7 ...gidesign.framework.ProTools 0x012b63f6 MFortressHWBPEntryPoint_exit_mfort6317_ + 9672665
8 ...gidesign.framework.ProTools 0x015551c8 MFortressHWBPEntryPoint_exit_mfort6317_ + 12420523
9 ...gn.framework.CoreFoundation 0x004752f8 Sys_RawThreadTimerTask::Exec() + 132
10 ...gn.framework.CoreFoundation 0x00475256 Sys_RawThreadTask::Run() + 36
11 ...gn.framework.CoreFoundation 0x00492eec Sys_RawThread::ThreadIDsAreEqual(void*, void*) + 48
12 ...n.framework.PlatformSupport 0x03565a97 PSHardware_MatchDeviceInfo(TPSPCIDeviceInfo const*, TPSPCIDeviceInfo const*) + 8904
13 libSystem.B.dylib 0x99217819 _pthread_start + 345
14 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9921769e thread_start + 34
(My emphasis).

I've been using the MC Mix for a few months, and I've also been seeing these crashes on two other systems I've used (my old 2.5ghz C2D 2008 Macbook Pro, and an older C2D iMac). The crash reports don't *always* point to a thread with Eucon references, but I'd say certainly the majority of times they do.

I'm ruling out plugins, as I've tried editing with all of my third party plugs disabled using PT Plugin Manager, and I've still seen this error. No one thing seems to trigger it, but a favourite crash is when I route a bunch of tracks to a new aux input. However, I've even see it do this crash on save! (nasty!)

I've already set the MC Mix to a static IP as per the user guide. Seemed better for a day or so, but it's started up again now.

Any suggestions / help gratefully received!

jesse p 07-25-2011 03:31 PM

Re: PT9.0.3 SIGBUS crashes - EuCon to blame?

That sounds [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ing annoying

My MC control is on it's way here in the mail

:confused:

I updated to PT9.0.3 today and I've been getting EUCON personality problems all day. For me, restarting fixes it for a while, but WTF? Things are pretty seemless in Nuendo.

Bill Denton 07-25-2011 03:45 PM

If you are saying that your audio and your sample libraries are on the same external drive, that could be the root cause of your problems.

Put your samples either on the same drive with your OS or on a separate external drive.

This may not solve all of your problems, but it will solve one definite problem...

DigiTechSupt 07-25-2011 06:18 PM

Try trashing the 'com.euphonix' and 'com.eucon.' preferences files from MacHD>Library>Preferences and MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Prefences, restart and test again.

Also tell me what your network settings are - do you have Airport enabled? Is it the first item in the Network panel? Are you using a hub, switch or router? Any apps running in the background, especially ones that would use network/ethernet traffic?

GW 07-26-2011 12:31 AM

Pro Tools and Data Base Helper (use this insted of manual - highly recommended) -
http://www.jcdeshaies.com/

A Chapman 07-26-2011 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Denton (Post 1818736)

If you are saying that your audio and your sample libraries are on the same external drive, that could be the root cause of your problems.

Put your samples either on the same drive with your OS or on a separate external drive.

This may not solve all of your problems, but it will solve one definite problem...

Hi Bill - the only library I use is BFD, and sadly this problem occurs whether or not I'm using it in a session. BFD lives on my audio drive only out of necessity, as I live a nomadic studio life - if I'm using BFD in a track I tend to bounce all the "real" audio to a stereo stem and make the individual tracks inactive. Then I work on BFD and when I'm done, print it as audio. After this I go back to the original tracks. If I was working in a static situation, absolutely I'd have another drive dedicated to the BFD library.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt (Post 1818787)
Try trashing the 'com.euphonix' and 'com.eucon.' preferences files from MacHD>Library>Preferences and MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Prefences, restart and test again.

Also tell me what your network settings are - do you have Airport enabled? Is it the first item in the Network panel? Are you using a hub, switch or router? Any apps running in the background, especially ones that would use network/ethernet traffic?

I'll try trashing those preferences. The network settings are per all the FAQs and guides for the MC Mix. Airport is the first item in the network panel. There are no apps running in the background. Whether or not airport is enabled doesn't appear to make a difference. The MC Mix is connected directly, and I've tried both a static IP and DHCP.

I've rolled Eucon back to 2.5.7, and gone back to using DHCP, but haven't had a sustained session with it yet. Will report findings. I have found that this combination (2.5.7 / latest firmware - sorry, haven't got the unit to hand - and DHCP) is resulting in much more reliable discovery of the unit, which is something. 2.6 always gave me an error and failed to add my unit automatically - I always had to go in and add it automatically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GW (Post 1818921)
Pro Tools and Data Base Helper (use this insted of manual - highly recommended) -
http://www.jcdeshaies.com/

GW - I already use this app. Does it include com.euphonix and com.eucon? I didn't think it did as I didn't think the app had been updated since EuCon support was added to Pro Tools?

GW 07-26-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Chapman (Post 1819035)
GW - I already use this app. Does it include com.euphonix and com.eucon? I didn't think it did as I didn't think the app had been updated since EuCon support was added to Pro Tools?

That was just wishful thinking on my part in another post, that i wished for it to be updated - but it's still pretty useful for what it does.

When I myself search for malfuntion or errors I sometimes need help to see "the obvious", especially when your are trying for a longer period of time, like I get the impression that you have? Some versions back my setup crashed when I run iWeb at the same time, so perhaps you can list your setup and try to figure out if anything at all run (even in background - myself I have Air Display for iPad, a PCCard for 2xFirewireports, Timecapsule, Bluetooth, Airport, I run a Cinema Display screen with ext. HDD_USB in the back, 4 Ilok-keys on a switch), try to cover as many bases as you can if you want more precise input.

A Chapman 07-26-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GW (Post 1819096)
When I myself search for malfuntion or errors I sometimes need help to see "the obvious", especially when your are trying for a longer period of time, like I get the impression that you have? Some versions back my setup crashed when I run iWeb at the same time, so perhaps you can list your setup and try to figure out if anything at all run (even in background - myself I have Air Display for iPad, a PCCard for 2xFirewireports, Timecapsule, Bluetooth, Airport, I run a Cinema Display screen with ext. HDD_USB in the back, 4 Ilok-keys on a switch), try to cover as many bases as you can if you want more precise input.

In terms of other software - the Macbook Pro is literally brand new, and all I've installed is Pro Tools, my third party plugs, Cinch, dropbox and Chrome. Whether or not any of those are running, the crashes still happen.

Also - I spoke too soon about 2.5.7. It still doesn't automatically add the MC Mix when I boot up - I have to do it manually after an error message.

In terms of hardware, I have a FW800 drive attached, and at home I have a USB hub with a few drives attached and the iLok - but again, I've worked elsewhere with only the drive and the computer, and it's exactly the same.

brianjanthony 08-05-2011 04:57 PM

Didn't see this until I'd already posted on this. This is happening to me with Pro Tools HD 9.0.3. If I try to send a few tracks to an aux bus, it crashes out the system, and Eucon seems to be to blame (if the log reports mean anything).

Some sessions crash on opening. Others play but load SLOWLY. Then when bussing tracks PT crashes and Mac kernel panics.

I've done the general PT troubleshooting and Euphonix pref trashing. These things would be great if they didn't bring my system down 5 out of 6 days a week.

brianjanthony 08-08-2011 05:29 AM

I'd love to know how widespread a problem this is. With people using Pro Tools 9.0.x and the latest Mc Mixes and latest firmware.

I have a day or 2 to send these things back and get a refund. Seriously considering doing so until these bugs are ironed out. I know these forums only show the people having issues. But I'd love to know if there are people running crazy sessions 16 hrs a day 7 days a week without issues with this stuff.

For me, in a few weeks, it's literally COST me money in comp time and downtime and corrupt sessions. not cool.

I WANT to like them. But they've totally let me down. :(