Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

garrett_la 09-24-2004 09:21 AM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Roy,

"Burn" is great! Listening to it now.

Garrett

DR.Loop 09-24-2004 11:40 AM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here *DELETED*

Post deleted by DR.Loop

Roy Howell 09-24-2004 05:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks Roy.

The only reason I don't have vox is simply because I can't sing. I would like to, but never really tried.

Garrett

Quote:

garrett,
Some really good grooves on these songs...most of em would make great rhythm beds for killer vocals.
Any reason there aren't any vox?...good job.
-Roy

Garrett,
I see...well, as good as your music is, you should be able to find a good singer. Maybe you should try either collaborating online or post an ad or 2 locally for a singer/lyricist.
Good luck and keep posting your stuff, instumental or otherwise.
-Roy

Roy Howell 09-24-2004 05:43 PM

Quote:

Here i am Roy Frozenbones Thank you for the compliment. I took down the link because of the vocals. My buddy is trying but it's not woking out so well. I normally write a song as a instrumental. I think from now on i am going to post songs without vocals and if anybody interested adding vocals, bass or more guitar they can email me. That would be cool.

I checked out the lastest of yours Roy and what can i say...Excellent as always. Burn is right up my alley. I really dig that one.

I will be posting more in the near future.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301050&T=2145

Bob

DR.Loop/Frozenbones,
Sorry I remembered your SN wrong after you deleted the post(I wrote 'Frozenfingers'...hehe)...I do agree that the singer of the songs I heard did not match your guitar skills. In 'Greed', I liked how the guitars were panned and played off each other. Post more when you can, and good luck on finding a singer.
-Roy

DR.Loop 09-25-2004 05:46 AM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here *DELETED*

Post deleted by DR.Loop

Chris Cavell 09-25-2004 09:33 PM

Hello again to all...

COX has really been screwing me over this month...so I figured I'd take the five minutes of active service this week and upload a tune. I really dig the tune, however, I didn't track it unfortunately...just mixed. The session given to me is only 16 bit, contains digital clicks and pops all over the place (x-crackle working it's magic on this one), and even has some awful distortion in places...but I'm doing what I can with it. I definitely think it's a little muddy/bass heavy right now (getting used to my new speakers with this session ). It's called On Display. Like I said, this is a rough mix, but I'd still appreciate any comments. Trying to clean up the clicks and pops has been extremely difficult...but trying to get the distorted areas to work with the tune has actually been kind of fun.

Cheers,
Chris

EDIT:

It looks like they gave me ten minutes instead of five to work on the net this week, so I uploaded a second one...not nearly as dark a tune, but all the same stuff said before applies to this one as well. It's called Canopy.

Aussie169 09-26-2004 06:08 AM

Nice job Chris. You have indeed done well.
And I agree with you about the bass. Have you tried a multiband compressor on it? I find that helps a bit in those situations.

bigbubbaj 09-26-2004 07:26 AM

Chris-

Good work mixing. Nice seattle type sound (which I dig)

On the first one, I agree on the bass. IS it covering up the kick a bit?

Second song, What effects/chain are you using on the vocalist? I really like the treatment. Bass here is predominant also, but a better balance with the kick.

Great Job. Sounds like temple of the dog. Was that your reference cd?

badperson 09-26-2004 03:27 PM

Chris, great job. I like the song, and the production/arrangement and your mix is great. In "on display" I'm wondering if the ride sticks out just a tad, and if so, how do you deal with that?

I've never tracked drums, so I have that beautiful combination of giving criticism of something I'd have no idea how to handle myself.

nonetheless, great job.

bp

Chris Cavell 09-27-2004 09:52 AM

Mark, Bigbubbaj, and bp,

Thanks for the comments! to each of your questions in turn:

Mark,
I try to stay away from multibands in the mixing phase...they can just as easily overemphasize a given string or frequency and take away the more precise control of eq. I like the overall sound of the bass...I just think it's too loud in the mix. I think simply turning him down a notch (more like two or three notches) will do the trick.

Bigbubbaj,
Seattle sound...definitely...cornell is this vocalists idol! On the second tune it's just a little doubling and detuning on the vox...foo fighters style. It just seemed to work for the tune; gave the vocals a texture that seemed to gel with the song. I didn't use a reference disc on this one...just went by ear with a set of monitors I haven't gotten used to yet...however, every member of this band owns TOD cd's...especially the singer. It certainly had an influence on the music overall, but not really on my mix.

BP,
The ride DEFINITELY sticks out...if you pay close attention to the overheads sound throughout, you'll find some cymbals all but dissappear while others are too prominent. I'm guessing spaced pair micing was used and the engineer didn't pay attention to this. It didn't help that the guy's ride naturally sounds a bit harsh to begin with. It's very difficult to fix in the mix...if not impossible. There's no way I'll be able to get the overheads to sound completely balanced, but by Double compression, one in stereo and one in dual mono I hope to get it somewhat more balanced. The compression should illicit a few of the upper overtones of the ride adding a little sizzle (more natural sounding than eq if done right) and I'll add a tad bit of verb to the upper range as well. With any luck it will help to smooth it over so it isn't so obvious.

These were my first rough mixes of the tunes...if I can manage to remain connected to the net I'll try to get a couple of updated versions uploaded.

Cheers,
Chris