Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

Joz 09-10-2007 02:05 AM

Re: Overnight Lows

I mainly only use, Waves: Ren EQ and Ren Compressor, and the SSL EQ. The other comp I use is the bombfactory 1176. For this particular song I used digiVerb for that reverb part at the end of the song.
I really dont have many plug ins, so I get by with what I have.

I'm working on a huge anthem ballad right now, pretty exiting. But! I can't continue coz my singer is in London right now and I need her keyboard to record some strings. I'm supossed to have the song finished when she comes back. So does anyone know of a cheap "strings" sampler/softsynth, or a free one?

www.overnightlows.com/music/areyouready.mp3

Joz

Joz 09-11-2007 04:44 AM

Here's another one
http://www.overnightlows.com/music/waitaminute.mp3

Joz

luffe 09-11-2007 08:56 AM

Hi Joz.

Tried to get to your MP3 but no luck. It seems there's something wrong with the link....

Best regards,

luffe

sunburst79 09-11-2007 11:44 AM

Quote:

I mainly only use, Waves: Ren EQ and Ren Compressor, and the SSL EQ. The other comp I use is the bombfactory 1176. For this particular song I used digiVerb for that reverb part at the end of the song.
I really dont have many plug ins, so I get by with what I have.

I'm working on a huge anthem ballad right now, pretty exiting. But! I can't continue coz my singer is in London right now and I need her keyboard to record some strings. I'm supossed to have the song finished when she comes back. So does anyone know of a cheap "strings" sampler/softsynth, or a free one?

www.overnightlows.com/music/areyouready.mp3

Joz

Maybe Xpand? Free is pretty cheap....

Even if the patches are not the exactly what you want it may be close enought to let you continue working.

Joz 09-11-2007 02:02 PM

Here I fixed the link: http://www.overnightlows.com/music/waitaminute.mp3
It's not finished, it needs strings at the ends of the song, and more harmonies. I'll try Xpand

Joz

Joz 09-12-2007 03:21 AM

Here I finished it! it sounds huge now. I found vintage strings VST for free, and I was really surprised by the sound.
www.overnightlows.com/music/waitaminute.mp3

luffe 09-12-2007 06:30 AM

Hi Joz.

Yet another great performance from you and your band! Great overall sound and I especially like the sound of the lead vocal. Could it be the pre's that sound so much better than the Digi Pre's or do you have some special plug-ins at work here. Maybe you could enlighten us with your settings - reverb, compression etc....? Great guitarwork and -sound, man. Do you write the songs for the band yourself - anyways strong material???

Best regards,

luffe

Joz 09-12-2007 10:01 AM

Luffe, it's the compression method. Lots of compression, works great on "radio friendly" music, but not so great for other stuff. Slow attack on the first compressor with lots of compressing, and a second one with a fast attack just to control the peaks a little bit. Then I send that to a couple of effects, but that depends on the song. for slow songs like this one I send it to a reverb (with about 15ms of pre-delay, very important) and then I put an EQ infront of it and hight pass everything above 400mhz and low pass at around 6K. Oh and a high pass on the vocal track itself at around 100mhz, and boost 9k. But that really depends on the singer and the song. And if the rest of the tracks don't sound great, or aren't tailored for the vocal, then there's no way the vocal can sound great.

Joz

Naagzh 09-12-2007 10:26 AM

Thanks for sharing the tips! And yeah, filtering and pre-delay are absolutely critical!

Would you mind sharing about the drums? Is there any sample replacement/enhancement going on? If so, which plugs/libraries are you partial to?

luffe 09-12-2007 10:50 AM

Joz, thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge on this. As I told you earlier I am a newbie to all those recording techniques and stuff. It is quite overwhelming when you know zero about it, so I kinda suck every tip I can from people like yourself, that knows about it and have actually proved, that their recordings sound great. I will keep your tips warm till the day I am able to try making my first recording. I've had my Digi 003 factory for quite some time now, but so far I've just been experimenting. So your knowledge comes in quite convenient here... I'm sure it will help me come over the mountain top some day...

I have been playing a lot (I am a piano/Hammond/keyboard player) but the tech-stuff never caught my attention until now. But I find it very exciting to work with ProTools and all the possibilities, but there's quite a lot to hold in your head, right

Thanks again.... and now I'll enjoy Wait A Minute again!

Best regards,

luffe