Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   MIDI gets recorded early (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=418704)

alhardy 01-23-2022 11:58 AM

MIDI gets recorded early

1 Attachment(s)
Hi and thanks for checking this out.

Every MIDI I record in realtime gets printed early.
But the audio I hear in realtime is fine, and I tested it.

TEST : Record midi on a Virtual instrument track and it's audio out to a different track at the same time

RESULT: The midi is clearly ahead of the audio.

In the attached screenshot, midi track (Blue) and audio track (purple) are recorded together in realtime while playing. You can see midi is early.

The 3rd track (pink) is recorded after the realtime performance and it aligns with midi, but midi is of course recorded early.

I tried already :
Turned off delay comp
Tried a simple midi track (not the one of the VI)
Different VI plug ins

I am on mac mini M1 and latest PT, on Big Sur.
Had this issue on a different system too.

Avid support is working on it, but no luck so far.

alhardy 01-27-2022 08:52 AM

Re: MIDI gets recorded early

Anybody encountering the problem or have a clue?

nd 04-12-2022 12:42 AM

This problem happens all the bloody time!
Seems it's a ingrained Pro Tools problem.
How are people getting around this?
Nudge notes every time you record MIDI?

What a PITA.

tonwurm 04-12-2022 05:57 AM

this bug has existed for years, so far avid has not been able to fix it (or don't care)

Therefore: midi recoding in Pro Tools is a serious problem

...and I'm afraid it will stay that way... similar to all the other bugs that have existed for years and have not been fixed

albee1952 04-12-2022 09:00 AM

You should be able to add a delay in the Realtime Properties to compensate. Once you figure out the right setting, just add that(or build it into a Track Preset).

rinky 04-12-2022 10:46 AM

This problem just popped up for me about a month ago.
Frustrating knowing that this problem existed for some time now.

nd 04-12-2022 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2632948)
You should be able to add a delay in the Realtime Properties to compensate. Once you figure out the right setting, just add that(or build it into a Track Preset).

Will this actually auto move notes on the grid though?
What’s on screen needs to reflect what we hear, so we can edit properly, add notes in, etc…

Reml@P 04-13-2022 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonwurm (Post 2632941)
This bug has existed for years, so far AVID has not been able to fix it... Therefore: MIDI recording in Pro Tools is a serious problem

I know this is not what anyone wants to hear but you're better off not using Pro Tools for MIDI. I've never found it to be a serious solution in that capacity.

If you're on Mac, use Logic. On PC, Cubase or Nuendo. These programs handle VST instruments and MIDI far more elegantly than Pro Tools ever has, or likely will.

tonwurm 04-13-2022 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reml@P (Post 2633037)
I know this is not what anyone wants to hear but you're better off not using Pro Tools for MIDI. I've never found it to be a serious solution in that capacity.

If you're on Mac, use Logic. On PC, Cubase or Nuendo. These programs handle VST instruments and MIDI far more elegantly than Pro Tools ever has, or likely will.

Thanks for responding ! That´s what I´m doing...I use Logic and DP for more than 30 years

But sometimes it would be very handy to record some midi tracks in PT... but you can't get everything you want, obviously ;-)

tonwurm 04-13-2022 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2632948)

Thanks for responding ! I've tried that of course... but the lag isn't constant, it varies depending on the tempo and it's not consistent there either... crazy