Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Batch Fades in time code option... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=423938)

JR Fountain 03-20-2023 11:47 AM

Batch Fades in time code option...

I know this has likely been asked before but it'd be awesome if in the batch fades dialog box the length unit could be a drop down menu of which time code could be a selection instead of milliseconds for us tv/film folks.

Thx,
J.R.

garret 03-20-2023 12:57 PM

Re: Batch Fades in time code option...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR Fountain (Post 2665214)
I know this has likely been asked before but it'd be awesome if in the batch fades dialog box the length unit could be a drop down menu of which time code could be a selection instead of milliseconds for us tv/film folks.

Thx,
J.R.

Been asking for this for 20 years! Maybe someday!

nednednerb 03-20-2023 01:08 PM

Avid Link has a "Features Request" Lounge. I recommend you post there. Even though some people make a huge stink of "well WE don't use Link", you might as well do it.

(I cannot imagine for the life of me being a dev or ops team member and finding this post out of the 25 or so in the last so many hours, that says "Batch Fades in time code option" and thinking, AH I should be proactive about this obvious feature request. That isn't going to happen. So Avid themselves pointing out, please put feature requests here in this Link Lounge and vote on them, it seems reasonable to try something new instead of asking for things for 20 years in a non sensical, as it is unused, location.)

garret 03-20-2023 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nednednerb (Post 2665221)
Avid Link has a "Features Request" Lounge. I recommend you post there. Even though some people make a huge stink of "well WE don't use Link", you might as well do it.

(I cannot imagine for the life of me being a dev or ops team member and finding this post out of the 25 or so in the last so many hours, that says "Batch Fades in time code option" and thinking, AH I should be proactive about this obvious feature request. That isn't going to happen. So Avid themselves pointing out, please put feature requests here in this Link Lounge and vote on them, it seems reasonable to try something new instead of asking for things for 20 years in a non sensical, as it is unused, location.)

They have been asked directly by many many people in the post world including me over the years, not just on message boards. It has been continuously promised and never delivered.

JR Fountain 03-20-2023 02:14 PM

Thanks for pointing that out Ned, wasn't aware of that. I've posted it there.

J.R.

smurfyou 03-20-2023 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garret (Post 2665226)
They have been asked directly by many many people in the post world including me over the years, not just on message boards. It has been continuously promised and never delivered.

+1

nednednerb 03-21-2023 11:20 AM

I don't see those promises being made. Where is this information?

Does having the ability to make a fade 1 or 2 frames really even matter? Probably not.

Is there other much more important stuff to do? Probably.

"Will we work on it if we get around to it?" Sure.

My primary point was keep asking, and coordinate the way the company has openly communicated, that is, to use Link.

I'm only going on public and direct communications. Not 20 year old promises that are invisible to me lol.

garret 03-21-2023 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nednednerb (Post 2665323)
I don't see those promises being made. Where is this information?

Does having the ability to make a fade 1 or 2 frames really even matter? Probably not.

Is there other much more important stuff to do? Probably.

"Will we work on it if we get around to it?" Sure.

My primary point was keep asking, and coordinate the way the company has openly communicated, that is, to use Link.

I'm only going on public and direct communications. Not 20 year old promises that are invisible to me lol.

Thank you for your valuable insight.

smurfyou 03-21-2023 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nednednerb (Post 2665323)
Does having the ability to make a fade 1 or 2 frames really even matter?

I think I can answer for everyone working in post - YES.

As it is we do it by using math, which doesn't sound too bad until you think about the multiple frame rates we deal with.

The issue came up as soon as they introduced batch fades.

The Shift window has timecode. The Space Clips window has timecode. It's everywhere except here.