Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Can't monitor unprocessed signals with Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340001)

thevisi0nary 06-17-2013 09:00 AM

Can't monitor unprocessed signals with Eleven Rack

What a waste to buy the 11 rack as an interface now knowing its only practical with protools, and by practical I mean ONLY useable unless you don't Care about reamping. Now it will sit until my band is ready to play shows. Why even call it an interface if I can't monitor unprocessed signals?

Deansy 06-17-2013 11:39 AM

Re: Can't monitor unprocessed signals with Eleven Rack

I use it with CUBASE perfectly just as it would be used with protools. the only thing I'm missing is rig or patch saving in pro tools.

AS an audio interface, you can use it with any DAW that supports ASIO Driver (most if not all relevant DAWs support ASIO drivers.
Re-amping should also work in any DAW that supports ASIO. Your Daw will see the reamp or dry as an input option on any audio track.

thevisi0nary 06-17-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deansy (Post 2048587)
I use it with CUBASE perfectly just as it would be used with protools. the only thing I'm missing is rig or patch saving in pro tools.

AS an audio interface, you can use it with any DAW that supports ASIO Driver (most if not all relevant DAWs support ASIO drivers.
Re-amping should also work in any DAW that supports ASIO. Your Daw will see the reamp or dry as an input option on any audio track.

You can't monitor your playing as a dry signal, if I can't use the editor I can't change what I'm doing after I record the dry signal, but since I can't turn of the processed signal of the 11 rack I can't use something like guitar rig because you would hear two amp tones playing back. You play tones and then hear dry in the play back, unless I just record the audio of the rack, but then there's no option to change my tones after.

TieDyedDevil 06-17-2013 01:10 PM

The Eleven Rack has multiple inputs and outputs exposed over the USB interface.

I'm uncertain as to why you either can't see them or can't use them. :confused:

Did you install the driver?

Benoni 06-17-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thevisi0nary (Post 2048590)
You can't monitor your playing as a dry signal, if I can't use the editor I can't change what I'm doing after I record the dry signal, but since I can't turn of the processed signal of the 11 rack I can't use something like guitar rig because you would hear two amp tones playing back. You play tones and then hear dry in the play back, unless I just record the audio of the rack, but then there's no option to change my tones after.

I don't understand this? Can you re-phrase what you mean?

I have used the 11R with Reason 7 or Reaper and don't have a problem.

What exactly are you trying to do. Break it down in small steps.

Why exactly can't you use Guitar Rig? Set the input of GTR Rig or the Track to Guitar. That is the dry guitar signal. If you are hearing both the 11R and Guitar Rig, just use the volume pedal on the 11R and turn it all the way down.

You can change the input of the 11R to Re-Amp without using the editor. Just hold EDIT/BACK, and go to RIG INPUT and change the setting. The just set the output or your dry track to Re-Amp. I don't know what DAW you are using, so if it does not say REAMP, just experiment until you find the right pair.

zedhed 06-17-2013 08:16 PM

Rtfm!

thevisi0nary 06-17-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoni (Post 2048608)
I don't understand this? Can you re-phrase what you mean?

I have used the 11R with Reason 7 or Reaper and don't have a problem.

What exactly are you trying to do. Break it down in small steps.

Why exactly can't you use Guitar Rig? Set the input of GTR Rig or the Track to Guitar. That is the dry guitar signal. If you are hearing both the 11R and Guitar Rig, just use the volume pedal on the 11R and turn it all the way down.

You can change the input of the 11R to Re-Amp without using the editor. Just hold EDIT/BACK, and go to RIG INPUT and change the setting. The just set the output or your dry track to Re-Amp. I don't know what DAW you are using, so if it does not say REAMP, just experiment until you find the right pair.

Ill explain my dilemma as detailed as possible.
Okay for starters lets take pro tools totally out of the equation.
Lets say im using a regular interface,
i load up fl studio, change the input to my interface, load it onto a channel. I am playing and hearing unprocessed raw signals, nothing else only dry stuff. This is important because i track guitars before going to the studio, i dont focus on getting proper tones or anything i just want to lay the tracks down and save money. But okay, so we are still totally dry at this point. Now just to get a feel for what im doing, ill load guitar rig vst onto the audio track so i can play with a tone while tracking but be able to remove it when i am done to give to my producer.

Now here is why i cant do this with eleven rack,
so i go to start up fl normally, select it as my interface, right off the bat i am hearing back the processed tones of the 11 rack, there is no way to hear ONLY the dry signal at all times. I cant use it solely as an interface without always hearing the 11 rack tones back when i play. When i record this way, i can get the dry signal i want, but if i want to hear it played back with a tone over it i have to load up guitar rig, since there is no 11 rack plug in outside of pro tools. When i do this, now im hearing both the eleven rack tones AND the guitar rig tones because i cant monitor the 11 rack's unprocessed signal.

Granted i bought this rack for when im going to be playing shows, but it serves no purpose now as an interface because theres no normal way of just tracking an unprocessed signal. I love the 11 tones its got nothing to do with that but its not AT all practical when there is no plug in working in sync with it like in protools.

TieDyedDevil 06-17-2013 10:37 PM

Well, yes: you keep doing what doesn't work, and it still doesn't work... :rolleyes:

There are people here who are quite willing to help, but you're going to have to participate by answering the questions that are asked of you.

I'm not familiar with FL Studio, but its Wikipedia page claims ASIO support. Perhaps you could dig into the FL Studio manual to find out whether that's something you need to specifically enable.

Again: Have you installed the Eleven Rack driver?

thevisi0nary 06-17-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil (Post 2048737)
Well, yes: you keep doing what doesn't work, and it still doesn't work... :rolleyes:

There are people here who are quite willing to help, but you're going to have to participate by answering the questions that are asked of you.

I'm not familiar with FL Studio, but its Wikipedia page claims ASIO support. Perhaps you could dig into the FL Studio manual to find out whether that's something you need to specifically enable.

Again: Have you installed the Eleven Rack driver?

Yeah clearly you don't understand what I'm saying if you're asking me about the drivers. I want to use it as a normal interface without hearing the tones the 11 rack makes.

Becharax 06-18-2013 04:00 AM

you just have to disable the effects in the rack itself and you will get your dry signal ... remember the rack has got various amps, so no matter what you will hear a different sound from an amp to another but still as long as you disable the effects on the rack itself you won't get the processed signal ... i hope it helps