Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   X-Mon Inputs-Outputs (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=335917)

tico 03-17-2013 04:58 AM

X-Mon Inputs-Outputs

Hola!

I'm quite new with Avid products and general with audio, so here are the questions and many many thank's for your help:

1. if i go from HD I/O Analog out (1-8) to X-Mon Main Input (DB25-DB25), can i split the signal into cue, main, alt, TB outs from X-Mon?

for example: 1 stereo out of Main out for Main Speakers; 1 stereo out of Alt out for another speakers; 1 stereo out of Cue out for headphone mix and 1 mono for 1 studio loudspeaker and finally 1 mono out of TB out for ListenMic.
always using a Db25 to XLR in every Output.

2. if you see the D-Command Guide, they make an example with one I/O 16x16 analog into X-Mon, but at the end you see totally 32 outs out of X-Mon.
is it that possible or it just shows all the possibilities you can get???

3. where the output for the intern talkback goes? to HP-Amp?
do i need an output for that?...i hope not...:-)

4. what about AFL/PFL Inputs. i don't really get it what is the purpose for that.

thank's guys for your help

greetings from Zürich

amolin 03-17-2013 10:02 AM

Re: X-Mon Inputs-Outputs

Can you use a soldering iron?
The easiest and cheapest way is to make some custom cables, then you can do all that you want...

tico 03-17-2013 10:52 AM

hellou!
i guess, that will be no problem but what do you mean exactly?
and the thing is, i like to understand how everything works, what ca i do or not with the things that i have. I mean, for example, can i go out with the Cue Output although the Cue Input no signal have. I come in with the Main Input and i'll will like to split it out.

thank's

:-)

francois 03-17-2013 10:31 PM

yes .you have to select a source for the CUE out
In your case you probably have to select main (Mn)

Chris Lambrechts 03-18-2013 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tico (Post 2016331)
1. if i go from HD I/O Analog out (1-8) to X-Mon Main Input (DB25-DB25), can i split the signal into cue, main, alt, TB outs from X-Mon?

for example: 1 stereo out of Main out for Main Speakers; 1 stereo out of Alt out for another speakers; 1 stereo out of Cue out for headphone mix and 1 mono for 1 studio loudspeaker and finally 1 mono out of TB out for ListenMic.
always using a Db25 to XLR in every Output.

Hi Tico,

Yes that works. In fact - a lot of people do it that way to save on I/O. The Main and Alt I/O for the X Mon are full 7.1 surround paths but of course if you only use stereo you do not need to dedicate 8 outputs of your Main Interface to that.

Keep in mind that L and R are I/O 1 and 5 on your X Mon main and alt I/O.
And yes - DB25 to XLR is the way to go both ways here. The pinouts are in the manual.

Quote:

2. if you see the D-Command Guide, they make an example with one I/O 16x16 analog into X-Mon, but at the end you see totally 32 outs out of X-Mon.
is it that possible or it just shows all the possibilities you can get???

3. where the output for the intern talkback goes? to HP-Amp?
do i need an output for that?...i hope not...

Well - don't look at it as 32 outputs that can be used / assigned to anything. The I/O on the Xmon is fix. (x2) full 7.1 outputs (main and Alt) that would feed your main and alt speakers. Cue Outputs that typically feed headphone amps etc ...

The internal talkback can be routed on the go where you want. Cue outs typically. It will make sense once you start using it. For example you can set up 3 dedicated stereo cue mixes but then decide that the talkback only get's routed to Cue 1. The drummer .... because you don't want the bass player on cue 2 and the guitar player on Cue 2 to know what you really think of their playing whilst you tell that to the drummer.

Caution when using this 'feature' !!!:)

Quote:

4. what about AFL/PFL Inputs. i don't really get it what is the purpose for that.

AFL / PFL are solo listening paths typically used in Live or Broadcast environments, maybe less in music studios but very convenient non the less. They are dedicated paths that will allow you to solo things in the control room whilst leaving the main mix untouched for example. Pickoff points to feed the solo bus are AFL (after fader listening) and PFL (pre fader listening)

The use of AFL / PFL solo paths requires a pair of dedicated outputs on your interface and IO setup that feed the SFL/PFL inputs on the XMon.

Without those you can only use SIP (Solo In Place) - which is the most common mode for the solo bus : it solo's and cuts it through to every output path available - for everybody.

One example I like to use those modes in is tracking vocals for example. I can solo the vocal together with the FX return and the main instruments and set a balance. Makes it often much easier to listen for pitchy-ness and things like that.

Hope this helps

Chris

amolin 03-18-2013 03:46 AM

Tico, I'll post how I did my setup, maybe that can help you :)

I made a cable from my Omni where channel 1 and 2 goes to L and R in on the xmon main inputs.
That way I can listen to that signal on both Main, Alt and mini.

Channel 3 and 4 from the omni goes to cue in on the xmon, that way I can make a send, in PT, which goes to out 3 and 4, and use that as cue track for the artists.

Thats it, basically... I have also made some extra cables for connecting listen mics and stuff, but thats just simple xlr-db25.

tico 03-18-2013 12:29 PM

Thank's amolin, Chris and francois
All that Info is great.
You Rock
Let's see if i bring it to work
Cheers!

Craig F 03-18-2013 12:58 PM

another option instead of XLRs would be HD I/O to a patch-bay then from the patch-bay to the Xmon

PLF is useful if your mixing through a Aux Bus but need to use the Scrub Tool
go into PFL first then go into scrub

tico 03-19-2013 01:07 AM

hi Graig
thank's
ja, that with the patchbay could be an option, or we tought about another interface, but for all this stuff we need more money and we don't have it...:-)
but yes, you are right.
cheers!

amolin 03-19-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tico (Post 2016862)
hi Graig
thank's
ja, that with the patchbay could be an option, or we tought about another interface, but for all this stuff we need more money and we don't have it...:-)
but yes, you are right.
cheers!

Why get another interface?
The xmon works great and is integrated in the icon console in a great way :)

Get some 3mm mic kables, some db25 and xlr connectors and start soldering, does not cost much and you can get it all exactly as you want it to work...