Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Higher sampling rate (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=22559)

acesfull 01-01-2002 08:18 AM

Higher sampling rate

Eventually, PT will come out with a higher rate than 48k.....I have a digital console that will "lose half it's faders" when I go to 96k....therefore, I'm left looking for a console that recognizes 96k without losing half it's faders, or mixing in PT.
Allegedly, the Yamaha due to come out this spring is written in a language whereby you don't lose faders at 96k---but supposedly, it's faders have a lower resolution--womething like 256, instead of 1024---

so, it leaves me thinking about ProControl, or Control 24----

which is better, and why?

Happy New Year

Park Seward 01-01-2002 01:17 PM

Re: Higher sampling rate

96k takes twice the processing power than 48k. It also will take up twice the disk space. No way around it. As manufacturers put more processing power into products, you'll get more faders.

Great Divide Studios 01-01-2002 03:07 PM

Well, one advantage of Pro Control is that it's not really a mixer-it's a contol surface. In other words it's blind to sample rates and bit rates as well as anything else having to do with audio quatily. So where ever Pro tools goes with the high definition audio stuff, Pro Contol /Control one will still work fine. It's really just a matter of preference. I love the Pro Contol for it's great integration with Pro tools and the future-proofness of the design. A real mixer might work better for someone who needs more versatility like using it with other recorders/sequences.

Hope this helps,

Jamie

acesfull 01-01-2002 04:00 PM

thank you guys for responding, but perhaps I didn't clearly state my question.

Do you prerer ProControl, or Control 24, and why. I know that Control 24 has mic pre's. I'm looking for other reasons to buy one, or the other.

thanks

Jules 01-01-2002 04:55 PM

I like my ProControl

PTLance 01-01-2002 08:22 PM

They aare both great for what they do. The advantages of the PC is that you can expand up to 48 faders, use an edit pack, and the faders are long throw and feel decent. The C24 has 24 faders period. No expansion possible. The faders are short throw and don't feel as nice as the PC. However I have and love both of them. It comes down to $ and what you really need. The PC does have a almost flat surface where the C24 has a high back making it hard for VGA and speaker placement. Hope this helps.

acesfull 01-01-2002 08:59 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
They aare both great for what they do. The advantages of the PC is that you can expand up to 48 faders, use an edit pack, and the faders are long throw and feel decent. The C24 has 24 faders period. No expansion possible. The faders are short throw and don't feel as nice as the PC. However I have and love both of them. It comes down to $ and what you really need. The PC does have a almost flat surface where the C24 has a high back making it hard for VGA and speaker placement. Hope this helps.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. I know that there's going to be a new PT system, sooner or later----is there any reason to believe there'll be changes in the ProControl?? If not, I'm going to start looking for the best deal I can find. By the way, what do you have yours housed in?? I'm only aware of Argosy, but I'm sure there are other alternatives.

Happy New Year

brasa 01-01-2002 09:38 PM

BTW, why is it that you can't use these surfaces withPro Tools LE?
Hey, DIGI, why not? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]