Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Can't turn off Mac Function keys/turn on PTLE Shortcut keys (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=237928)

b mcgibney 01-28-2009 03:32 PM

Can't turn off Mac Function keys/turn on PTLE Shortcut keys

Hi all,

I've having a heck of a time getting the function keys to work in PTLE.

Particularly F1 F2 F3 F4 etc to go through slip shuffle, grid ,spot etc.

I have made sure spaces /expose/dashboard/spot light are not activated

and in System Preferences -mouse keyboard/keyboard short cuts I have deselected everything.

But when running protools the keys either do not work at all or do the expose stuff. What the heck am I missing here. And yes I do have command focus on in the edit window when I'm trying this.
Tips or pointers to answers much appreciated

B

flommer 01-28-2009 04:36 PM

Re: Can't turn off Mac Function keys/turn on PTLE Shortcut keys

In Keyboard Mouse preferences, there is a global setting for the Fn keys that makes you have to hold down the Fn key to access the expose, volume, etc functions that are mapped by default on the new, thin aluminum keyboards.

It is on the first tab (Keyboard, I think) of the preferences panel..

Then there are still the other ones that you were turning off in the keyboard shortcuts tab...

b mcgibney 01-30-2009 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flommer (Post 1344085)
In Keyboard Mouse preferences, there is a global setting for the Fn keys that makes you have to hold down the Fn key to access the expose, volume, etc functions that are mapped by default on the new, thin aluminum keyboards.

It is on the first tab (Keyboard, I think) of the preferences panel..

Thanks flommer , I'll give that a go!

Then there are still the other ones that you were turning off in the keyboard shortcuts tab...

wwittman 03-19-2009 03:21 PM

AH, just found this

It's indeed in the KEYBOARD control settings, first tab and it's the CHeck Box called:
Use All F1, F2 etc. keys as standard function keys

it needs to be checked for PT function shortcuts to work

Stiff 03-20-2009 01:49 AM

Another way is to use the shortcuts...

option+1-4 is slip, grid etc.
cmnd+1-7...?...8? Something like that, is the tools.

Siegfried Meier 04-03-2009 10:38 AM

I've just freshly reinstalled my Mac Pro, and I don't know what's going on but I can't use F1-F4 for the Shuffle, Slip etc settings. I have "use all F1, F2 etc. keys as standard function keys" checked off in keyboards. What else am I missing here? It worked fine for the last year before I reinstalled everything.

Using a new thin aluminum keyboard as well.

Thanks,
Sig

Siegfried Meier 04-03-2009 10:53 AM

It's the new version of Quickeys. It has all these new shortcuts that take control - never were there before.

So, it works now.

Sig

budinski 06-03-2009 04:31 AM

This is great, I had the same problem and now solved by ticking that box! the only thing is that there is no function key short cut for smart tool? ANy advice please?
Budinski

Protools LE 7.4
Macbook Pro with external keyboard
Mac 0sx 10.5.4
MBox

Mad Psyentist 06-03-2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siegfried Meier (Post 1377926)
I've just freshly reinstalled my Mac Pro, and I don't know what's going on but I can't use F1-F4 for the Shuffle, Slip etc settings. I have "use all F1, F2 etc. keys as standard function keys" checked off in keyboards. What else am I missing here? It worked fine for the last year before I reinstalled everything.

Using a new thin aluminum keyboard as well.

Thanks,
Sig

My keyboard preferences don't even offer a checkbox for "use all f1..f2...keys as standard function keys." Just 'key repeat rate' and 'delay until repeat'.

System Prefs>>keyboard & mouse>>keyboard tab

I can get all the function keys working except the ones that toggle between the edit modes, f1-f4. I'm kind of stumped. This problem seems unrelated to quicKeys, because I just installed that program last night, and the function keys haven't been working since I installed PT 8 LE a month ago, even though they worked fine in PT 7.4.2.

I'm not using the aluminum keyboard, I'm using the standard wireless apple keyboard, which doesn't even have a "fn" key on it anyways. Any thoughts?

GeoffLee 06-03-2009 07:35 AM

Smart tool f7+f8