Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Is this an Apple or Digi issue (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=177325)

Bushpig 09-18-2006 09:26 AM

Is this an Apple or Digi issue

Hi Digi,

Is this issue ever likely to be resolved? I have had a hired 2.7Ghz machine here while I sourced a suitable second hand 2.5Ghz and it definitely exhibited this fault 3 out of every 5 starts. This inspired me to want to buy the 2.5Ghz machine, but the one I found second hand through a dealer here in London, is a bit fishy and they may offer me a 2.7 as replacement, so I just wanna catch up with what the story is with this bug before I agree to taking any other model.

Cheers

BP

Compatibility Alert — Power Mac G5 2.3/2.7GHz Models
Digidesign has identified an intermittent problem with Pro Tools|HD and the following Power Mac G5 2.3GHz and 2.7GHz models (introduced April 27, 2005). At times in a small number of these systems, not all of the cards in a Pro Tools|HD or Pro Tools|HD Accel system are seen by the Mac in Apple System Profiler or DigiTest. During launch, Pro Tools shows "DAE error -1123" or "Flex Cable Error".

This is because the configuration is seen as an extra TDM flex cable attached to the last recognized card, but not connected to the subsequent card. This problem can usually be resolved by restarting the computer. In rare occasions, multiple restarts may be required. If restarting fails to solve the issue described, please contact Digidesign Technical Support for additional troubleshooting and diagnosis.

TCDet 09-18-2006 10:58 AM

Re: Is this an Apple or Digi issue

I couldn't tell you if they found a release of models that this occurred in.
i.e. sn xxxx through sn xxxxxx but I have two HD3's in dual 2.7 without this issue.

Arrange a return policy if yours do not work.

Bushpig 09-21-2006 04:28 AM

Hey TCDet,

Thanks for the info. That's kinda the impression I got from reading this compatability document ie: there are some that do this and some that don't. You're correct in wondering with me whether it's a certain range of serial numbers that did or didn't, but jezz, who would know which ones or bother to let us plebs know that kinda info? Sounds more like from Digi's investigation that it's probably a random distribution.

Digi boys and girls??
(absolutely luvvin' 7.2 BTW)

Cheers

BP

Bushpig 09-22-2006 05:37 AM

Bumpy, Bumpy. Digi?

BP

guitar012001 09-22-2006 02:08 PM

Hi Bushpig,
I had the same concerns before I bought my Dual 2.3ghz with PCI-X slots. I found a new/demo for a great price, in which I was able to get Apple's warranty and Apple Care warranty on from a local Apple retailer. However, before I purchased it, I too researched Digi's web site and found the problems with some of the Early 2005 model 2.3ghz and 2.7ghz machines not recognizing HD cards. I talked to Digi 3 times before going through with the purchase as they informed me that some of the HD cards weren't compatible with some of the 2.3 and 2.7ghz model G5's and that "if I ran into a problem with my HD cards not being recognized that they would repair or replace them" So since I use a 7 Slot Magma 32bit, 33mhz Expansion Chassis I was more concerned but Digi assured me that the chassis and the HD5 (HD Core, HD Accel, and 3 HD Process) would be fine and yes it indeed is!!! I hope this information is helpful.
Randy

Bushpig 09-24-2006 12:40 PM

Randy,

Thanks for the info mate. That's interesting that Digi offered to swap out your HD cards. I've just spent 3 years struggling with my HD3 and a 1Ghz DP G4 and after months of troubleshooting and conversations with Digi, me and my dealer couldn't get to the bottom of the problem, we just figured I'd lucked into a bad combination of computer and cards and so I finally took the plunge and arranged to buy a G5 (pissed off to lose a PCI slot, but I blame that egomaniac Steve Jobs for that little diss), but I've often wondered if there's something wrong with my cards, so I hope Digi come through with some information to confirm or deny that this 2.3/2.7 problem is something they can/will remedy, as I have already had a 2.7 that does it with my cards in it. Doh!!!

Digi boys and girls??

Cheers

BP

Dan Pinder 09-24-2006 02:35 PM

I bought one of the 2.7s, had the problem and they gladly, quickly sent out replacement cards to me overnight and gave me about a week or two to check the system before I returned the other ones. Great support.

Bushpig 09-25-2006 03:28 PM

Dan,

Thanks for the info. I take it by "they" you mean Digidesign? I see you're in the US. I wonder if Digi UK will offer the same grief free exchange?

Digi boys and girls??

BP

DigiTechSupt 09-26-2006 10:24 AM

If you are experiencing this specific issue then, yes, we will gladly swap out your cards as long as you're registered.