Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Plugins on Master Fader or Main Mixdown Track (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=212036)

studioslave77 12-18-2007 06:50 AM

Plugins on Master Fader or Main Mixdown Track

I usually bounce down my final mix analog and into a 2-track in protools...

I apply compression and a Limiter to give it a mastering..

My question is what is the differnce when applying those mastering pluggins either on that 2 track mixdown track then send the signal to the master fader and do a bounce, compared to putting the pluggins after(not on) the 2 track on the Master Fader track, then mixdown(bounce)?

I hear a difference when moving the pluggins from the 2 track(sounds better i think) than when putting them on the master fader instead. What is the difference,?

Camilo Toledo 12-18-2007 07:14 AM

Re: Plugins on Master Fader or Main Mixdown Track

Maybe the volume level, if your mixdown track was not set properly.

Keep in mind that if you bring back to the session the 2 track mix and playing it back as any other regular track in that same session you are runing the mix thru the same plug ins for the second time.

studioslave77 12-18-2007 07:46 AM

Volume levels are both the same.

Sorry i Mixed through an analog mixer, then brought 2 track back in , and dont have any plugins on that mix..

Camilo Toledo 12-18-2007 08:19 AM

The majority of times, if you mix with an analog mixer is to have the "excelent analog qualities" of that board. Unless you have a top of the line board it is not recommended to use it the way you did.

Why? (1), you just went outside the digital realm, (2) introduced noise, hum, (3)the poor quality of the mixers pre amps, and (4) came back to digital, with a probable degraded mix.

You will be better off just mixing in the box.(ITB)

The use of a submaster is common, and useful under certain situations. In some very large sessions, they are useful to differenciate the large sections ( a 20 piece string ensemble, a gospel choir, etc), and called stems, and that facilitates the mixing process. But in our little world and mixing 32 tracks we do not really need to have a submaster and a master. You can avoid this step.

studioslave77 12-18-2007 08:49 AM

IT ALSO happens to mixes mixed in protools(not just analog), so I dont think its my board, which always sounds better for some reason than mixing inside protools(even though i reenter those crappy converters)

Camilo Toledo 12-18-2007 09:17 AM

Well, if you a are getting clipping sounds, overloading distortion inside PT, I have so to say that there is something going on in the way you mix, or in the way you record your audio.

The majority of times is human error I am sorry to say it, and please don't get offended. You asked and people will respond. I believe I am giving you good advice and telling you from experience, I will not bother to waste my own time. But at the end it is you who can choose to keep doing things the way you think, the way you want or the way they are supposed to be.

Good luck.

studioslave77 12-18-2007 09:31 AM

I appreciate your help , and understand we have to try to weed out all the common errors/problems before we can move on...

I think your trying answering another post i have(about distorting from using a limiter)

but i just wana know ....why there would be a difference in putting the plugin on the master fader as opposed to the origional track(why there is a sound difference)

thanks!

Camilo Toledo 12-18-2007 10:53 AM

There should be a notable difference. Plug ins that are used on individuals track only affect the sound of that track, but if you place that plug in in the master track it is going to affect the overall mix and affect all of the tracks.

If you had only one track in your session it would not make any difference. For instance if you bring back your stereo mixed track to a NEW session, it will not make a difference if you use a compressor in the stereo track or in the main master track.

Camilo Toledo 12-18-2007 10:54 AM

And yes, I have answered both of your posts. My comments just makes a point for both.

studioslave77 12-18-2007 01:02 PM

Ahh, ok...sooo from what i understand the mix will sound different on the master track because it is being used for every other track and is probably putting a strain on the plugin or something...i wonder if muting all the other tracks would make a difference...but your correct, in a new session with just the stereo track and master fader they are both the same...Thanks people!!