Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Sync X & SYNC HD (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
-   -   SyncHD - adding in MTRX; removing HD I/Os (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417410)

ScottyD 10-17-2021 12:06 PM

SyncHD - adding in MTRX; removing HD I/Os

I'm in the research phase of rebuilding our Pro Tools rooms and would like some guidance on the best way to transition from our current build with a Sync HD and 2 HD IOs to just the Sync HD with a MTRX IO that replaces the HD IOs.

Our current setup uses Loop Sync from the Sync HD to the first HD IO, then to the 2nd HD IO and then finally loops back into the Sync HD. Each HD IO also has WC from a Drawmer D-Clock. This same D-Clock feeds the Sync HD. The Sync HD also has Vid Ref and LTC input.

I'm assuming since the MTRX only has WC/VBB in and out, I'd use this for the Loop Sync. Then remove the existing WC cables coming from the Drawmer. Does this configuration work?

Thx in advance,
Scotty D

LukeHoward 10-18-2021 03:59 PM

Re: SyncHD - adding in MTRX; removing HD I/Os

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyD (Post 2616209)
I'm in the research phase of rebuilding our Pro Tools rooms and would like some guidance on the best way to transition from our current build with a Sync HD and 2 HD IOs to just the Sync HD with a MTRX IO that replaces the HD IOs.

Our current setup uses Loop Sync from the Sync HD to the first HD IO, then to the 2nd HD IO and then finally loops back into the Sync HD. Each HD IO also has WC from a Drawmer D-Clock. This same D-Clock feeds the Sync HD. The Sync HD also has Vid Ref and LTC input.

I'm assuming since the MTRX only has WC/VBB in and out, I'd use this for the Loop Sync. Then remove the existing WC cables coming from the Drawmer. Does this configuration work?

Thx in advance,
Scotty D

I would lose the Drawmer, and connect either the WC or Loop Sync output of the Sync HD to the MTRX. In this case (if the Sync HD is always loop master), it won't make any difference, the MTRX can handle base rate WC (which is what Loop Sync effectively is). You need to configure the MTRX clock source appropriately in DADman, too.

ScottyD 10-19-2021 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeHoward (Post 2616357)
I would lose the Drawmer, and connect either the WC or Loop Sync output of the Sync HD to the MTRX. In this case (if the Sync HD is always loop master), it won't make any difference, the MTRX can handle base rate WC (which is what Loop Sync effectively is). You need to configure the MTRX clock source appropriately in DADman, too.

I think the only reason to keep the Drawmer is because it's tied to our wider facility WC. Does it really matter to maintain this connectivity? Probably not. It's definitely something to consider though.

LukeHoward 10-19-2021 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyD (Post 2616439)
I think the only reason to keep the Drawmer is because it's tied to our wider facility WC. Does it really matter to maintain this connectivity? Probably not. It's definitely something to consider though.

You could feed it to the WC in of the Sync HD. It all depends on what you're trying to do (indeed you only need the Sync HD for frame-accurate video lock). If you need to receive digital audio from elsewhere in the facility without using SRC then, yes, locking to house WC would make sense. (But you can't simultaneously lock the Sync HD to both external WC and video ref.)