Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Getting Started (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Not Avid question, tho please help (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420802)

DJClee 07-02-2022 01:34 PM

Not Avid question, tho please help

Hi,

Just a quick question that hopefully a sound tecchie can help me with.

I'm on a filming job, live event, where the hall is mic-ed up to an Allen & Heath Qu-24 mixing desk. We have three cameras, two of which will have mics in order to sync up the footage, though ultimately we need one camera to take a direct feed from the desk. I have a print-off the rear exterior, and wondered if anyone here can point me to a suitable output, whether XLR or jack?

Thank you,

DC

Darryl Ramm 07-02-2022 02:01 PM

Re: Not Avid question, tho please help

Uh how can anybody guess what cameras you are talking about and what inputs they have available? And the mixer is doing what? Feeding live sound at the event as well as you want to drive a separate submix for video? Or you just want to split the main mix? The mixer has something like 3 separate stereo submixes... so in many split live/video events one of those submixes is likely recorded if you want a mix-down recorded to an outboard analog recorder. Or maybe you just want to take the main AES/EBU out or the alt main mix is on a pair of TRS jacks or... ... we can't guess.

I'm not really following the goal. Why does one camera need to take a direct feed off the mix board? If you are doing manual sync up anyhow... The QU24 has an integrated recorder, why not just record to that and then do manual sync up later? If the on camera mics are far from the source you'll have some time of flight of sound latencies to correct anyhow.

Or doing this a lot? Why not get timecode on the cameras and record LTC into the QU24? Or maybe by that point just record using an outboard recorder with digital timecode support? Timecode is getting cheaper and easier to use. Stuff to work out when you are not working on a job.

albee1952 07-03-2022 04:08 PM

But wait! There's MORE:p:p If you are going to feed a camera, will that be mono or stereo? Most "pro" cameras are likely to have stereo XLR inputs(at least those at my last corporate event did). The camera also had switches to select Mic or Line input level. Since I was feeding from a console(Yamaha LS9), the Line level was selected, but as I only had a single output open on the console(and the event was mostly talking heads), I told the camera op to gran a WYE cable to feed the single line into both left and right inputs(though in post, they could have copied the audio).

Having said this, I think Darryl has given the best option:o

GoButtonGuy 07-03-2022 09:18 PM

So the suggestion for someone that isn’t sure which output or input to use is to multi track with LTC then post? Seriously?

OP find the sound person at the gig (beforehand) and tell them what you need. In this case a likely solution if you wanted a mix of what was coming out of the live system would be to come out of the Alt outs on the Qu. Your camera audio inputs and how the operator has the console configured will dictate which adapters you may need to cable it up. I’d suggest either finding a sound person locally to help you or at least running it by the house sound prior to the day of the event. While this is a basic thing for a moderately experienced sound op if your client is expecting at least passable results you’re going to need direct help rather than us randos on the internet.

Darryl Ramm 07-03-2022 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoButtonGuy (Post 2641084)
So the suggestion for someone that isn’t sure which output or input to use is to multi track with LTC then post? Seriously?

Can you actually bother to read what was written?

The suggestion was to just record using the multi-track recorder in the Qu-24 and just manually line stuff up. Do stuff as simple as possible rather than try to get stuff connected and work out what is going against a deadline when the OP seems lost.

Time code comments were clearly about something to go look at for the future. Sorry my comments confused you.